Replacing front stub axles - any tips?

darthdicky

I've got a Discovery axle on the front of my Defender and the stub axle is knackered. I've bought what I think is all the right replacement bits - stub, inner seal, needle bearing, CV bush and outer seal like this, but not in a kit from Britpart: http://www.britpart.com/all-parts/da3194/.

Has anyone got any tips, diagrams or photos on how it all fits together? I could strip down the old one to figure it out but I wanted to keep that in one piece as an emergency spare.

Cheers,

Rich

Thanks Les, I'm pretty comfortable with those bits, it's just the internal parts of the stub axle and the order they go in that I'm not so sure on.

I've consulted Haynes and it says "if renewal is necessary, the task should be entrusted to a Land Rover dealer" which isn't particularly helpful!

Rich

I've got all new parts so don't need to worry about getting the old one out, but will stick the new bearing in the freezer to hopefully make that easier to get in. Parts will turn up tomorrow so I'm assuming it's pretty obvious which way the bearing and seal fits in?

Richard

Okay, got the parts today and put a new stub axle together using the seal FTC5268 as that's what looked like it was in the old one (although it's hard to see without pulling it apart) and the bearing went in fine. Put it on the vehicle and it it feels like the seal or bearing is tighter on the CV than before - it still turns but with much more resistance and the end of the CV doesn't protrude far enough out of the stub axle to stick the circlip on. Is this a problem or is it likely to settle into the right position after a drive? It doesn't seem right but I don't know whether that's normal or something is wrong?

It's real pain not knowing the axle number as there seems to be two different types of seal and no real way to tell which one is supposed to be used. Can anyone shed any light on this? It's a J reg Discovery axle as far as I know and has a 10 spline diff.

Rich

Depends on your chassis number, your kit was JA> that seal is <JA.

The later axles had a one-piece CV joint and outer half shaft, the earlier ones had the half shaft built into the drive flange.

Early:

post-4193-0-40203500-1471521872_thumb.jpg

Late:

post-4193-0-56654500-1471521873_thumb.jpg

#2 on the early diagram is FRC8227 as note....

I think these axles were a bit of a rarity :)

Needed? Not if the drive flange gasket is leak free, I think :)

Perhaps was a hangover from oil -filled swivels? Who knows :)

Also, I seem to be missing a spacer to go between the bearing and the tightening nut. Am I right in thinking there should be one of these in there? http://www.brookwell.co.uk/products/DISCOVERY_1/all/300TDI/Front_Axle/Front_Hubs/Hub_Spacer

Richard

My rear axle which is I believe an early disco axle has that and an extra hub-type seal that sits over it.

It's real pain not knowing the axle number as there seems to be two different types of seal and no real way to tell which one is supposed to be used. Can anyone shed any light on this? It's a J reg Discovery axle as far as I know and has a 10 spline diff.

Rich

The number is stamped into the axle casing on the top of the long side.