110 suspension lift

I've had a set of 35 inch high tyres for my 110, people are giving different information what i should do to the suspension, i have just bought a set of +2 old man emu springs, I've also cut the wheel arches higher up and mounted wider arches.

will i need to fit spring spacers to lift it an extra inch? some people have said a 2 inch lift is fine and others it needs to be taller?

what is a decent budget shock? terrafirma +5 or anything else?

i know i will have to fit cranked arms and a few other jobs, I'm just about to fit a 200 tdi engine with a vnt, so the next job is the suspension, I'm trying to build it right the first time, so what have other people done?

the trucks going to be used for the occasional commute to work, camping trips, green laning and fun, so I'm just trying to get some information on what other people have done, I've still the mod spec low transfer box so the gearing should be ok.

• Like 1

I have never put 35" tyres on a Landie, so cannot help you there. What I would say is that normally OME only gives about a 1.5" lift (751 and 762 springs on my old 90) which from my point of view is more than adequate and would not go any more other you will (or may!) need to caster correct the front axle, fit longer brake hoses and double hookes front prop etc. It will also have awful handling and roll like a ship in a force 12 gale. I would not skimp on shocks especially when raising the C of G of the vehicle and would say to fit OME, Koni Heavytrack or Bilstein.

For what it is worth I have a 110 now which sits on HD front springs and standard rear springs (progressive type) and is about as high as I would want it and still handles well (Bilstein shocks), however not sure if this would work with 35" tyres - may be someone more educated will be along shortly to advise.

Toby

I've recently bought a part finished project which has never turned a wheel. I've just removed the Terrafirma +5" shocks (x4), extended poly bump stops, tubular front shock mounts, pin type rear shock mounts and four 2" spacer blocks that go between the spring cup and axle. (They would allow you to use your current springs).

I'm selling the lot as a package as I need a standard height vehicle. PM if interested with an offer?

I have never put 35" tyres on a Landie, so cannot help you there. What I would say is that normally OME only gives about a 1.5" lift (751 and 762 springs on my old 90) which from my point of view is more than adequate and would not go any more other you will (or may!) need to caster correct the front axle, fit longer brake hoses and double hookes front prop etc. It will also have awful handling and roll like a ship in a force 12 gale. I would not skimp on shocks especially when raising the C of G of the vehicle and would say to fit OME, Koni Heavytrack or Bilstein.

For what it is worth I have a 110 now which sits on HD front springs and standard rear springs (progressive type) and is about as high as I would want it and still handles well (Bilstein shocks), however not sure if this would work with 35" tyres - may be someone more educated will be along shortly to advise.

Toby

Toby, what flavour rear springs are you using? I have OME standard duty +2 springs all around my 110 and the ride is absolutely savage! I don't have any extra weight in it and it is a truck cab so obviously too light for a spring made for a CSW in mind. Need to soften it up a little but not sure where to start

Sorry for the thread hijack

On my 110 I am using standard 110 rears the progressive ones (RKB101111) and as they are not handed I am using the NRC9449 on both sides to help cope with the winch and winch bumper. The shocks are Bilstein and I think they are very good, I previously always had OME shocks but while very good think they are bloody expensive? The ride is firm but not harsh and suits me and as I suppose is as close to factory considering the extra front weight - however what I like may not be what others like! I have standard anti roll bars to.

As pointed out the harshness could be the shocks depending what you are using, but rather like my 110 set up at the moment!

Toby

Nothing wrong with the OME. I would probably use OME shocks with the springs however and you may find you need to do no further modifications. I didn't need extended brake hoses, but I did need a double Hookes front prop to stop vibrations after fitting castor corrected radius arms.

I've had a set of 35 inch high tyres for my 110, people are giving different information what i should do to the suspension, i have just bought a set of +2 old man emu springs, I've also cut the wheel arches higher up and mounted wider arches.

will i need to fit spring spacers to lift it an extra inch? some people have said a 2 inch lift is fine and others it needs to be taller?

what is a decent budget shock? terrafirma +5 or anything else?

i know i will have to fit cranked arms and a few other jobs, I'm just about to fit a 200 tdi engine with a vnt, so the next job is the suspension, I'm trying to build it right the first time, so what have other people done?

the trucks going to be used for the occasional commute to work, camping trips, green laning and fun, so I'm just trying to get some information on what other people have done, I've still the mod spec low transfer box so the gearing should be ok.

Wow, lifted, cranked arms and 35 tyres, all for green laning !!! shock horror!!!! :rofl:

On a more serious note.

1. What country are you in?

2. With standard diff ratio, transfer box and a 200Tdi, performance in a 110 will be somewhat sluggish

3. Are you uprating any driveline components?

4. What 35" tyres do you have? As many are often no taller than 33" when measured

5. Why 35's?

6. What are you actually wanting to achieve?

i.e. longer shocks are only useful if you are after more articulation/flex. This is only going to be useful off road and then only for more extreme types of off roading. Assuming you are in the UK as you say green laning... then you will NOT need extreme suspension for this. Nearly every green lane should be passable in a completely standard vehicle. If it is, then it's probably not suitable to be driving that lane at that time. Remember Green Lanes are actually ROADS, so technically is not off roading either.

I'm not against lifting a vehicle. But I would advise doing it:

-for the right reasons

-and the right way.

Far too many carp setups that ride like ****, are rubbish on road and often worse off road than a standard vehicle.

I also hope you haven't bought an 'extreme' tyre for mostly on road and green lane use.

To sum up. What tyres will fit will depend on:

-The exact tyre

-The rim

-The actual and intended use of the vehicle

Driving to Tesco's will not flex the suspension much, so you can generally fit larger tyres and get away with it.

If you are doing extreme off roading where you'll be flexing the suspension to the limits, then the same size tyre may well rub and cause problems.