Brake disc dimensions

Hello gents, I'm having issues replacing my brake discs and I wonder if I can pick a few brains...

My rear brake discs have come out easy enough, but the replacement discs are too big. As in, they're the right diameter but the central part is too thick. They're the listed ones for the vehicle (have tried more than one set and various suppliers) but the central hub part of the old disc is not as thick / deep. 

I don't know a lot about the history of the vehicle, but are there low profile discs available? Is there a common upgrade that would result in this issue?

Any thoughts gratefully received, even if it's to point out something very simple that I'm missing!

Thanks in advance....

PS, it's a 1994 110 300tdi.

Your truck would of been drum and 200tdi originally so you could have a disc converted Salisbury, a disc Salisbury from another truck or a disc rover axle. So first we need to work out what axle you have. If the diff pan is bolt on its a Salisbury if it's welded on and looks the same as the front it's rover. Do the calipers have any spacers between the caliper and bolt on Mount and is the mount welded or bolted on.

Mike

• Like 1

110 can use 110 solid front disc FRC7329 on the rear, [I used these on my 110's rear axle conversion to disc brakes]  IIRC the central bell is deeper than the correct FTC3846 orSDB000330 rear disc.

has your 110 had a engine change to 300tdi ? IIRC 1994 the last of the 200tdi engined defenders some came from the factory with the rear disc braked axle as part of the changeover to 300tdi models, no 300tdi had rear drum brakes.

May not be needed but when I was looking for LR discs for a conversion I found that if you google the part numbers of each one available and look in the images tab you will find which sellers have drawings with dimmensions in them.

Brake-Disc-Rotor FTC3846.jpg

• Like 1

slightly off topic, wasn't there a thread about converting the different axles to disc brakes?

I have solid discs on my front axle which I would like to change at some point to ventilated and on the rear i have (as far as i can figure out) a RRC rear axle with disc brakes. I am sure i stumbled across a thread at some point but cant seem to find it now.

A lot of us that have converted s drum braked Salisbury axle to discs used 90/RRC/Discovery rear brakes, especially if on a Series vehicle.  Those discs have smaller dimensions in all axis than the front discs of 90/RRC/Discovery, which happen to be the same discs as the back on factory 110 systems.

just a straight swap to vented disc & the wider calipers for vented discs, no majot changes to anything else. 

any chance I can tap into your wealth of part number wisdom? 

ventilated disc FTC 902?

caliper STC 1267 LH and STC 1266 RH ?

bolt off old ones bolt on new ones?

Edited by bodumatau
forgot to quote western
  • Like 1

On 26November, 2016 at 4:49 PM, western said:

just a straight swap to vented disc & the wider calipers for vented discs, no majot changes to anything else. 

Disc bolts FTC1368 x 10 pieces? 

caliper bolts FTC3375 x 4 pieces? whats the difference here to the AFU1031?

does the ventilated disc improve braking? (I know it will recover better from prolonged hard braking but does it improve normal braking?)

As Western says, the vented discs do not increase brake efficiency at all - they have the same diameter and use the same pads and calipers (though the calipers have spacer blocks between the halves to allow for the thicker disc).  Their sole benefit is to cool quicker if you apply heavy braking frequently, which suggests inappropriate driving style except in a racer.  Their disadvantage is their propensity for filling with mud when wading, leading to warping and cracking.

Thanks for all the advice on my original question. Correct discs now in place and calipers changed too. None of the parts were what I expected, even the ones that should have worked together didn't (I went through three sets of 'identical' calipers to find one that fit with the discs). I still can't get my head around what might have been done to this vehicle in the past, but it's all working fine now. Well, working fine by Land Rover standards anyway.