Bull bars / A Bars what am I legally allowed to fit

I have a shiney new truck on it's way to replace my 300Tdi.

I currently have a bull bar and spots fitted to my old landy and want to put something similar on the new one with the ability to take a winch (has nothing but the standard bumper at present)

The problem is what will be legal to fit? I would like to go with something like this

Defender20ARB20style20winch20bumper-300.jpg

but wonder about it's legality (don't want to create myself any problems)

If thats a no go was thinking about this sort of set up (I don't like it as much aesthetically (and less off-road protection) but would still be happy)

abar2L.jpg

but is this legal?

IIRC there is nothing to stop you doing this, the regs prevent Dealers fitting steel A bars/winch bullbars to brand new vehicles.

my 110 has a steel winch bumper without a A bar, haven't had any problems, a mate has a 110DC with similar set up to your 2nd photo, his truck is a 56 reg again no problems.

a bit more in this thread http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=14145

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya Folks, :)

I purchased a second hand bull bar from the Peterborough LRO show autojumble, fitted it, bought some spot lights which were wired up to a seperate switch on the dashboard and haven't had any problems with regards to the police/law. I am a neighbourhood watch co-ordinator and mix/talk to the local police on a regular basis, the only comment I have received from the police officers in my neck of the woods here in Peterborough is "wow, that makes it look beefier, it makes it an even safer vehicle to drive now". :D

Keep it mucky !!

Kev English

As I understand it, Down to EU regulations from 2007 onwards you are not allowed to fit steel bullbars or A-bars to any vehicle (This is why land rover have turned to those soft plastic jobbies). So the way I see it is you can fit anything you want (As long as it doesnt have protruding sharp edges etc) to your vehicle if it was before 2007 as they cannot proove whether the bar was fitted before or after thir date.

(Im sure this is how it went but im not 100% on the year, Im just going by what an MOT tester told me)

Taken from Vehicle & Operator Services Agency Categorisation of Defects.

Bumpers Bumper insecure or damaged Detachment likely either partially or completely or having projections or jagged

edges likely to cause injury. Immediate prohbibition

From a legal perspective: fit what you want, bearing in mind the above

From a moral perspective - down to you.

To be honest, anyone being hit by a Defender is not going to come out of it very well, people tend to go under them rather than over normal height cars...

I have a bull-bar on my 90, good place to mount some auxillary driving lamps and helps protect the radiator a bit from frontal impacts too :)

As I understand it, Down to EU regulations from 2007 onwards you are not allowed to fit steel bullbars or A-bars to any vehicle (This is why land rover have turned to those soft plastic jobbies). So the way I see it is you can fit anything you want (As long as it doesnt have protruding sharp edges etc) to your vehicle if it was before 2007 as they cannot proove whether the bar was fitted before or after thir date.

(Im sure this is how it went but im not 100% on the year, Im just going by what an MOT tester told me)

applies to the venicle manufacturer not owner