2.8TGV turbo fitted to a 300TDI

white90

So, how is the nozzle controlled? Is it some internal mechanism or is it via the external diaphram as pictured? Does such a turbo still need a wastegate to limit boost?

Chris

Chris, its totally mechanical and the turbo is a stand alone unit.

Yes, theoretially you could fit one to a 200. Bear in mind, though, that these turbos oush out 1.2 bar on overboost as standard so you want to make sure the headgasket is in good condition before doing anything.

As far as figures go, you could get 1000bhp but it wouldn't last very long! I thin something like 170 bhp and 320lb/ft would be about right with a reasonable fuel tweek.

Chris, its totally mechanical and the turbo is a stand alone unit.

Yes, theoretially you could fit one to a 200. Bear in mind, though, that these turbos oush out 1.2 bar on overboost as standard so you want to make sure the headgasket is in good condition before doing anything.

So what actually controls the nozzle? Is there a waste gate - and could whatever controls boost pressure be adjusted to cap maximum boost at, for example, 1 bar? My head gasket is new... ish.

Chris

• 2 years later...
does anybody know what was done with regard to ht eoil feed? The TGV has a pump on the back of the alternator and a feed back into the sump.

The oil feed on the 2.8TGV receives its supply from the oil gallery in the engine block. The line divides, with one branch supplying lube to the turbo and the other branch supplies the vacuum pump (on the rear of the alternator).

I finished it last night and test drove it at around 2am!

Very very pleased! I made an adaptor to mount the TGV oil drain pipe to a 300tdi block. And for the feed pi[pe I used a 300tdi pipe turned through 180degrees at the block. I have used silicone hoses and steel pipe to link the inlet to the air filter with an aluminium bend over the exhaust to avoid the exhaust possibly burning a silicone hose. TGV downpipe for the exhaust linking into a standard 90 mid box and a straight through rear section.

Initial impressions show much more low down power and it seems to pick up a lot faster. the Exhaust had given me better pick up before the turbo but now I reckon it will pull a disco transfer case happily. You find yourself dropping cogs a lot less as the power is there to accelerate through the gear you're in.

very worth while, and I have some pictures of the adapto required for the oil drain and my complete install.

I finished it last night and test drove it at around 2am!

Very very pleased! I made an adaptor to mount the TGV oil drain pipe to a 300tdi block. And for the feed pi[pe I used a 300tdi pipe turned through 180degrees at the block. I have used silicone hoses and steel pipe to link the inlet to the air filter with an aluminium bend over the exhaust to avoid the exhaust possibly burning a silicone hose. TGV downpipe for the exhaust linking into a standard 90 mid box and a straight through rear section.

Initial impressions show much more low down power and it seems to pick up a lot faster. the Exhaust had given me better pick up before the turbo but now I reckon it will pull a disco transfer case happily. You find yourself dropping cogs a lot less as the power is there to accelerate through the gear you're in.

very worth while, and I have some pictures of the adapto required for the oil drain and my complete install.

Good to hear you are happy with it :)

Good stuff, and considerably faster project than my own VGT lash-up. I'm particularly interested in the control diaphragm - my impression of the turbo I have is that the spring pressure needs to be quite weak (or the diaphragm needs to be quite large). Any chance of some close-ups of the pressure diaphragm?

Good stuff, and considerably faster project than my own VGT lash-up. I'm particularly interested in the control diaphragm - my impression of the turbo I have is that the spring pressure needs to be quite weak (or the diaphragm needs to be quite large). Any chance of some close-ups of the pressure diaphragm?

It is difficult to judge with the actuator in place. I used screwdriver to lever the linkage down, against the spring. My best guess is it takes something like 4 kg force applied at the actuator.

Based on the outside diameter of the canister, I would think the effective diameter of the diaphragm is about 45 mm.

From the stamped figures on top of the actuator, it is made by Wahler. The other markings are "2/2" and "S 16/2".

I don't know what these indicate and could not find much during a quick search.