Fitted a second Alternator

Petergg

Pete

Just out of intrest is the 36V a inderpendant for the winches or thoughout the whole car and have you had a chance to test it yet.

Hi Jules,

Not got as far as testing yet as fitting new winches etc, the winches only will run off this alternator and 3 batteries, the 12v system will run the vehicle as normal.

Peter

Pete, what sort of current is the alternator pushing out?

Hi Will,

I was told it is 90 amp but have not got as far as wiring it in yet.

I decided to change my rear winch was a xp9.5 but will be a EP9 as wanted a better brake, and found myself cutting the rear xmember out to fit winch a bit closer to fuel tank.

Also fitting Batteries etc, all take's more time than you allow for as I'm sure you know :rolleyes:

Peter

Not wanting to sound rude, but is the alternator being run with no wiring on it? ISTR it's bad for them to be run with no load on them.

Hi,

At the moment yes, I spoke to the company that suplied it and they said it would be OK.

Thanks for your comment.

Peter

Ok :)

I suppose, if it's not wired to a WL etc, and therefore receives no field current, it's never going to start charging, so no problem, as long as there's no 'stray magnetism'.

definitely a different situation to a battery cut-off, where the alternator is up and running and suddenly loses it's load.

Ok :)

I suppose, if it's not wired to a WL etc, and therefore receives no field current, it's never going to start charging, so no problem, as long as there's no 'stray magnetism'.

definitely a different situation to a battery cut-off, where the alternator is up and running and suddenly loses it's load.

I have to sort the wiring out yet (Tomorrows job), as on the back of the alternator is B+ D+ and an connection to the Bosch regulator, I assume that B+ is Bat Pos, D+ is excite ign and I have no idea what the one on the regulator is for.

I am having trouble finding a 36v ign light so was going to fit a relay switched by 12v ign feed to send 36v through relay to the D+ to excite it and fit a battery condition light.

What amp relay would you suggest and what gauge cable from B+?

Alternator020.jpg

Alternator019.jpg

Regards

Peter

it would have been easyer to fit a split charge system in <_< would'nt have it?????????

Not realy, as I want a better charge rate thats why I have taken the split charge system off and to get 36v from a 12v alternator is not that easy.

Geoff,

Thanks, there is a W marking on the case but no terminal near it.

Peter

Hi Peter, I would be very uninclined to put 36V straight to the warning lamp terminal in my experience a lot of alternators don't like this.

If you can't find a 36V bulb use a 12 V one and put a resistor in series. 12V bulb of 1.2W = 100mA. 100mA @ 24V drop=240 Ohms. 240 Ohms is hard to get go for 270Ohms and at least 4Watts rating. For a 2.2W bulb your resistor would need to be 150 or 180Ohms and 7Watt rating. The bigger bulb will make the alternator cut in at a lower RPM.

As you mentioned switch it through a relay slaved off the ignition switch.

HTH Shaun

Hi Peter, I would be very uninclined to put 36V straight to the warning lamp terminal in my experience a lot of alternators don't like this.

If you can't find a 36V bulb use a 12 V one and put a resistor in series. 12V bulb of 1.2W = 100mA. 100mA @ 24V drop=240 Ohms. 240 Ohms is hard to get go for 270Ohms and at least 4Watts rating. For a 2.2W bulb your resistor would need to be 150 or 180Ohms and 7Watt rating. The bigger bulb will make the alternator cut in at a lower RPM.

As you mentioned switch it through a relay slaved off the ignition switch.

HTH Shaun

Thanks shaun, that's a great help.

I have found a 38v 2w bulb today but it is the same fitting as a side light on a defender but will do untill I find something a little smaller.

I think that should do the job?

Peter

Try a truck suppliers/garage for a bulb as they use some 36volt stuff, I can ask my truck mechanic mate to see what they've got if you want?

Lewis :)

I have tried a lot of Motorfactors and alike, found the one I have from a Powerbike shop, but if you can ask your mate he may have other idea's thank's.

Peter

• 4 years later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 7 months later...

I too am wanting to fit a second alternator (24v) to a Defender TD5. Unfortunately the kits no longer seam to be available, unless anyone knows differently ?.

I don't suppose there's anyone here who might have a mounting kit they want to sell ?

Pete, do you have any further pics that would help me determine what would be required to make a mounting bracket up myself ?