GPS satnav mainly for speedo.. Recommendations sort..

casperboat

The speedo in my old landy reads wrong, it's slower as I have the wrong diff fitted, but it also wobbles quite a bit, so it's difficult to tell what speed I'm doing, though it's probably slow...

I've looked at GPS speedos as they fit them in some racing cars, but these are £78, the head up ones, which are cheaper, I'm told are not very good. Been looking on ebay and there are loads of satnavs for under £30, but I can't judge whether any would give a clear figure on them of the speed.. Has anyone any recommendations..

Thanks.

Ok, just read through that thread.. You didn't seem to have much luck. I wasn't after a round speedo, but wondered whether a standard satnav would show the speed, in any form that I could read while driving. The best option so far seems to be a gps speedo from Demon Tweeks at £79.98..

Can you not borrow a nav unit or use an app on a smartphone to see how accurate (or not) your existing setup is?

Mine is accurate up to about 40 then starts to under read (47 is 50, 56 is 60 etc), once I knew what it's "real speed" was I didn't need to use the gps anymore. My main concern was the large stretches of average speed cameras we have up here.

Basically, any old GPS unit will have a screen where the speed is always shown. Some will hide it when you have it working on guiding you. But borrowing one to make sure what is shown when should also work well..

Unfortunately my family is so far behind in tech terms that non of them have a satnav and my phone is an old brick which doesn't even take pictures or have internet access... My friend's cars have satnavs built in, so can't be borrowed. Guess i'll try and find a cheap one to try.

Well, if you are someone who has chosen a low tech approach, then I would suggest one of the recognised brand leaders, from a bricks and mortar outlet, like a Tom Tom , or a Garmin.

Reason being is that they are designed to be simple enough, and sturdy enough to cope with non-tech levels of care and use.

You will need to power them, so assuming you have a 12v vehicle, you'll need to install a 12v supply point, like a cigarette lighter socket, to ensure that they work.

You can get 12 plugs that connect to the dashboard jacks, and should be able to connect a cigarette socket on a wire to that plug.