Plasma Ropes - is there anything to beat Plasma 12

Hybrid_From_Hell

Yes I know Plasma is a trade mark balah de blah, but this way all know what I mean :)

Thinking of yet another new Plasma, I have always used Plasma 12 after poor experiences with a couple of other makes,

so have gone the purple 12mm Plasma 12 route, just wondering ...as technology cracks on at an ever increasing speed, .....

is there either :

• Anything better / ie stronger ? if so which / what / where ?

or

• Anything as good and cheaper - cos it 'aint cheap thats for sure :lol: ??

Nige

Not had any experience of anything other than purple Plasma12, but I have some samples of the new Marlow Winchline Max, with a view to replacement.

http://www.marlowropes.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=194:dynaline-max&catid=44:winch-lines&Itemid=172

The published breaking strains certainly look impressive:

Dynaline Max takes the wire rope replacement concept of Dynaline a stage further by adding Marlow's "Max" super pre-stretching process. Dynaline Max offers higher strength and lower stretch than a standard Dynaline rope. The higher break load for a given diameter offers a higher factor of safety or the possibility to down size the rope thereby allowing a longer length to be fitted on the winch.

Rope Diameter: 7mm 9mm 11mm 12mm 13mm

Average Break Load (kg): 7510 10795 15105 17992 21146

Weight (g/m): 35.6 54.0 75.5 90.0 107.0

•"Max" super pre-stretched for improved strength and reduced stretch

•Will not kink

•No wire splinters

•No strength loss when overlapped on winch drum

•Floats

•Virtually no recoil in the unlikely event of failure

Construction: 12 Strand Dyneema® with Marlow ArmourCoat

Colours: Green

Termination: Tubular thimble splice one end with safety hook. Drum termination other end

~I know that John Sales has been using the standard Marlow winchline to good effect on his hydraulic winches.

Unfortunately, the 'Max' stuff is freaking expensive compared to Andy-T's prices, so on a cost vs benefit thingy, the Plasma 12 is still very competitive....

What you should really ask is, "Have you actually tried any other rope bar the one you think is great?" or "was it a mate of a friend that walks his dog near the pub that i sometimes drink in!!!" The new Marlow for me as it has proved to be cost effective in terms of the increased use i now get out of it.It also gives me great confidence in its ability and i dont think you can put into words what a difference that makes..but i have to disagree with the fact that you can fit more on the drum by downsizing as first, doesn't that just put you back to where you were before you upgraded, and second most people do not believe that my rope is 12mm as it looks to be about 14-15mm and hence you have to be very verbal to your winch person to look after it as it goes back on the drum. I can only assume that the 11 or 10mm must be the same in its increased visual size but i don't know that as a fact. Could it be that others have a problem with a tape measure and dare i suggest that some could be lost in conversion from imperial to metric or in how you really measure the diameter of a rope as i have tried and failed.

Used Bowrope, got 2 bits, no problems and very pleased with them.

I think the quoted size is probably as manufactured when the fibres are tight, after repeated flexing and use the diameter increases a fair bit as the weave opens up, mine is smaller on the first couple of layers near the drum than it is near the hook as I mostly only do short pulls (1/2 or less of the line length off the drum) so half the rope rarely gets used.

The ones from Marlow that have the UV stable covering look interesting, if they were only also dry-treated. Keep having mine freeze to the drum, and snapped my Viking line but I suspect due to prolonged UV exposure.