Front Propshaft

Exmoor Beast

My front prop has a knackered UJ so rather than just replace it I was thinking about changing the propshaft. Does any old Disco 2 fit a 110? or am I after something specific?

Will :)

My mate has just fitted a Discovery II double-cardan front propshaft to his 2" lifted RRC. The double-cardan end (at the transfer 'box) has a bigger diameter flange than the normal LR flange, so he had to fit a new Discovery II front output flange to his transfer 'box, which cost him about £75 from a main dealer.

He's got a BW viscous transfer 'box on his RRC and the new flange was a straight swap, it should also be a straight swap on an LT230.

To ensure that the sliding joint remained somewhere in the middle of it's travel, he also fitted a Wizardbilt 15mm propshaft spacer at the axle end flange -

4f_1_b.JPG

Paul.

A 300Tdi one and a Td5 Disco one are the same, we regularly fit 110 ones to the Discoverys when (not if, when) the wizzy bit falls off, because most customers baulk at £450 for a new "proper" propshaft... no sign of vibrations on any I have driven.

• 2 years later...

Do the D2 shafts use the same U-joints? Wondering if I can pick one up and rebuild it using the flange from the old 110 front shaft instead of an adapter, just a 40mm lift and an expedition vehicle so not so flexy so not too worried about the spline length.

As far as i know 200tdi disco and 300tdi defender front props are the same... I had a 300tdi def prop on my disco v8 without any problems...

So if the 200tdi disco and td5 disco props are the same length as miketomcat says, why is a spacer needed?

I read a post recently about someone rebuilding the d2 prop, complete with greasable UJ's and a new centre bearing. Was it on here?