Transfer box front oil seal

bombx3

Yes, easily fixed ................ remove front prop from T/box .................. remove flange nut ................ pull out felt washer........ pull out flange............. carefully prise out the old seal ...............tap in the new seal and then re-assemble .........

Remember to fit a new felt washer .....................

:)

Ian

You want some RTV or silicone or something sticky sealant to put the dust seal back in place too.

A hub nut socket/box spanner is a good size to drift the seal home.

It can also be a but fiddly to get the seal to go in square unless you make a bit of room under the motor (I was doing my disco which is standard, so only has minimum ground clearance).

You will probably need to chock the wheels as the nut is on v tight and engine locking alone won't stop it turning.

If you need to replace the nut it is the same as the ones on your radius arms.

If it has been leaking badly and you have driven through a lot of water then it might be a good idea to drain the transfer box and renew the oil, I had a LOT of water after the floods in there....

• 2 years later...

Seal is FRC7043 or FTC4939 (same part) ...............felt washer is 571468 ................. Brookwells will have these is stock.

Dont forget to jack up the front to stop the oil (EP90) from raining out when you pull the flange.............

:)

Ian

Craddock's sent me a 571468 washer but it's made from metal and not felt, or am I missing something?

Cheers, Paul

571468 is the washer that goes on top of the felt seal ...

Thanks Errol, it all got a bit confusing as I ordered by the info above that related that number to the felt washer. Ordered the felt washer too now and hopefully will have the oil leak under control soon:) EP90 ain't cheap, so don't like seeing puddles of it on the ground :(

Cheers

The parts book is your friend*, though it's often a dead heat between looking it up yourself and asking Mr. Western :lol:

* Retroanaconda has the 110 book up there too.

Now that is a result! I couldn't find the 110 book though? (update:just found it!)

I tracked down the washer using your 90 book and found relevant numbers. This is a great resource and very useful - thanks. Ralph did kindly send me the part number discs a few years back, but I couldn't view them as I think it was from an old version of windows. There was a work around but I never managed to get my head around it :(

Cheers

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Seal, felt washer and thread lock nut all replaced but still leaking oil from transfer box. Seems worse on a long trip when everything is hot. As things cool down the oil leak slows. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Defender CSW 200Tdi 1994

The guy that changed it for me said the bearing was in good condition. I have just driven back to the UK which is the first big trip since the seal was changed. I had word from him tonight that I should check the breathers as if blocked could be distorting the seal? Just got to find something long and rigid enough to poke down them, or would you just blow down the pipe?

If this doesn't work then I will change the flange as you suggest. The replacement seal was Britpart not OEM.

Thanks, Paul

If the breather is blocked then it might well push oil out as the air inside heats up and expands - creating pressure. Axles commonly do this as well if the breather is blocked.

Les.

Thanks Les,

I will go to a garden centre tomorrow and get some of that stiffish green plastic coated wire to run along the breathers, just to make sure they are clear.

probably easier to disconnect at the gearbox end & blow though from there, it'll prevent any crud from ending up in the gearbox & you can clean the banjo bolt holes too.

Thanks Ralph,

Is there a separate breather for the transfer box as I have just had a look and can't see one from underneath?

Thanks Les,

I will have to wait until I get back over the water as the floor bolts are totally rusted over and need cutting off. I did shoot some air down each breather and one hissed back so probably blocked.