brake caliper bolts

The bolts a mess! I was actually torquing it up and it slipped, now its not tight enough, but its too tight to undo. I've rounded it pretty well in my attempts to remove it too. Let me know how you get on. I give up!

hit a slightly smaller socket on to it, iirc its a 12 sided head/?

I tried this. It didn't work. It's now nearly completely round, so I'm worried the extractors might not work either.

1/2 inch? very slightly smaller than 13mm

I'll see if I can find a 6 sided 1/2 inch. I was using a 1/2 inch 12 sided socket when it slipped.

I'm wondering if I can cut the head off with a dremel, then once the caliper is off get the stilsons on the remaining bit of shaft.

Have you got enough room to get a drill to the bolt? If you have you could try drilling a hole in the centre of the head and then a stud extractor maybe? I know access is limited though.

It's a possibility. I think I'd have to drop the radius arm, then id get access. I'll try an Irwin bolt extractor first I think, but I'm not optimistic given how rounded it is at the moment. Drills or grinders will follow that!

Thanks all for the suggestions though. I was quite depressed earlier that yet another 'simple' job has gone balls up, but I'm sure we'll figure it out!

If all else fails do you have access to a welding kit? I needed to remove a rounded calliper bolt a while ago and was unable to get a set of bolt extractors in time so simply welded another bolt onto the rounded head and stuck a socket on that.

If all else fails do you have access to a welding kit? I needed to remove a rounded calliper bolt a while ago and was unable to get a set of bolt extractors in time so simply welded another bolt onto the rounded head and stuck a socket on that.

I tried welding a Nut on, and it didnt work , i resulted in smacking a socket over it and welding the socket on, worked a treat,

Try keep the heat down its a big lump of metal I wouldn;t worry too much, they get pretty hot when they are worked hard by brakeing. I think caliper bolts are 10.9 steel grade or higher so drilling them could be a pain, be careful of snapping drill bits if you go that route.

Mav