Which engine would you go for?

reb78

I may have persuaded the other half that an l322 is a good replacement for the D2. It was Sams V8 for sale on here that really got me thinking - at £4250, it seemed a bargain even with the higher fuel consumption of a V8. As usual though I was too slow and it sold whilst I dithered around.

The V8's scare me a little with the fuel consumption but I have a hankering to have something with a decent petrol engine again! The TD6 has gearbox issues, my budget might just stretch to an early tdv8 (so, the 3.6 I think?). I

t will be 95% used on road (the odd muddy field occasionally, but nothing more extreme than that), it will be used to tow an Ifor horse box with two 500ish kg horses in, we will probably do no more than 15k miles a year. I'd prefer to spend around £6-8k but could maybe stretch up to £12k for the right vehicle perhaps.

So, considering that, what engine would you go for? I'd always ruled out the td6 based on the gearbox issues, but the are a few nice ones for sale that have had the gearbox changed - does this give them 80k before having to worry again? Do the v8s have lower repair costs and are they easier to work on than the diesels? Are the v8s more reliable?

The earlier L322 petrol V8s have worse gearbox issues than the TD6s gearbox. The TD6 gearbox can handle the power with normal use but the petrol V8 gearbox is marginal. i would investigate this aspect further.

The later L322 in both petrol and TDV8 are Ok though.

Garry

I have never heard that about the early V8 petrol gearboxes before. Every single person I know who has/has had a TD6 has either done the gearbox or the person before them did. We were told that once done they don't go again (but then the recon company would say that!) something to do with uprated parts on recon.

My petrol V8 did 21/22 on a run at 75mph. 17/18 mixed driving and down to 12mpg if just used around town. An average week gave me 16.5 mpg. My 2010 3.6 TDV8 is now doing 22mpg on the same trip but up to 30mpg on a run.

The TDV8 is actually quicker than my old petrol (10 less horses but a lot more torque)

So is the TD6 out really because of the plan to tow the horse box? I had a read earlier and it sounds like the gearbox problem is primarily down to wear in the valve block?

No, not just that.There is a hollow shaft on the output side of the box that is made out of a rolled section like a toilet roll inner.This cant handle the torque and unravels. I did have a photo of what they look like when they do it,David Ashcroft sent it to me when I was dealing with one several years ago when Ashcrofts were reconning them.They looked into having solid shafts made,but it was too costly.

The ZF box in the early L322's were not alot better in terms of strength,seen a few dead ones of those too.

Best thing about TD6 boxes is that they are a piece of cake to change - unlike 300TDI Disco ones,which I'm in the middle of doing at the moment...

No, not just that.There is a hollow shaft on the output side of the box that is made out of a rolled section like a toilet roll inner.This cant handle the torque and unravels. I did have a photo of what they look like when they do it,David Ashcroft sent it to me when I was dealing with one several years ago when Ashcrofts were reconning them.They looked into having solid shafts made,but it was too costly.

The ZF box in the early L322's were not alot better in terms of strength,seen a few dead ones of those too.

Best thing about TD6 boxes is that they are a piece of cake to change - unlike 300TDI Disco ones,which I'm in the middle of doing at the moment...

When folks fit recon boxes and TCs to the TD6 as the originals fail, are there usually mods (or can there be) to help stop the failure happening again and perhaps allow them an easier time when towing? There are a few nice ones for sale with recon boxes already fitted. Are these less likely to go again, or is it a case of budget for a replacement every 100k.

I dont know if it does this with only the N type plug connected

or when both the S and N type plugs are both connected.

But when both are plugged in for towing, the ecu recognises this

and alters the gearing and revs accordingly on my 4.4 v8 L322.

It also inhibits the air suspension from dropping at speed

which could potentially be disastrous.

Petrol consumption in my view is more of a grin factor

The more you fill it up, the more smiles you have

(just dont look at your bank statement)

I have no issues with mine and just love getting in it and driving it

• Like 1

Petrol consumption in my view is more of a grin factor

The more you fill it up, the more smiles you have

(just dont look at your bank statement)

I would agree with this there is something about a V8 petrol engine that I adore. Having said that a friend of mine has a TDV8 and that seems to be a very nice vehicle. Still I am hankering after a 4.4 V8 myself.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2003 4.4V8 with 114k and FSH and drives lovely (when working) but I'll tell you some of the issues you might face, ALL of which currently affect mine :(

Gearbox issues: "transfer box neutral" (likely low box motor) "trans overheat" (Likely oil cooler), "trans fail safe" (not sure yet but could be the box itself).

Engine issues: PCV fails and can cause oil to spew from seals etc like mine did. Rattle on cold start up like a diesel due to worn Vanos and timing chain etc. Various oil leaks inc rocker cover gaskets and front timing chain gaskets. Coolent loss due to a number of things but most likely culprit is the rad which tend to fracture.

Apart from that it's great, mine is a very nice drive ornament and storage locker at present and great for picnics on the drive ;)

Don't let the above put you off just remember these problems can be part of any Land rover purchase and considered optional extras ? but in all honesty I'm thinking about selling D2 Td5 I've not long bought as a runaround workhorse and putting the cash into the L322 as its such a nice motor to drive and be in and just using that with an LPG conversion instead.

I have also drove the TD6 but I just don't like it, doesn't feel as sumptuous to drive, I was even advised to buy the TD6 over the V8 as the TD6 engine is pretty bulletproof, just the gearbox to deal with but I bought a V8 with known gearbox issues lol. Why because I love V8s and don't care much for diesels.