Defender without a driveshaft

Cchase

Probably a 'Duh' question, but if the front driveshaft was missing (broken universal) would the truck still work with just the rear driveshaft like a rear wheel drive auto?

Conversely, if the rear driveshaft was not there, could you drive with just the front (diff lock on) like a front wheel drive?

Thanks,

Colin

I have a question, I was led to believe that the diff lock was only for use in really slippy/extreme lack of traction conditions and only in a straight line as you can get wind up on the diff when turning ?

Please excuse my ignorance as I am a first time defender owner, previously had series vehicles with no diff lock so could drive with front prop off or even with freewheel hubs.

Ian

As there is only one prop shaft, if the diff lock is not engaged all the drive will go to the output from the transfer box with the least resistance - the one without the propshaft. By engaging the diff lock the power is distributed 50/50 to the two outputs allowing it to drive the one prop shaft.

Hope this helps explain this.

The other way to think of this is the same as an axle. With a differential in it the drive goes to the wheel with the least resistance. In this case as it is the transfer box the drive would go to the output without the propshaft.