Oils

ltwt1981

Having filled the sump with water at Broxhead over the weekend I thought I might service the Lightweight.

What oils do you use, I've always used Duckhams 20-50W or similar, but any thoughts on whats best for a 2286 series motor.

Will use EP90 or close for gearboxes, PTO, diffs and swivels.

Any bad experiences especially welcome as it tells me what to avoid.

What about Comma oils, I can get these in bulk at a good rate.

Having filled the sump with water at Broxhead over the weekend I thought I might service the Lightweight.

What oils do you use, I've always used Duckhams 20-50W or similar, but any thoughts on whats best for a 2286 series motor.

Will use EP90 or close for gearboxes, PTO, diffs and swivels.

Any bad experiences especially welcome as it tells me what to avoid.

What about Comma oils, I can get these in bulk at a good rate.

Assuming you have the petrol engine, the Duckhams 20w/50 is a good oil. The Comma oils are also good value oils and perfectly suitable for your engine.

What you are looking for is the API specification on the bottle. For a petrol engine you are looking for the S reference followed by another letter. For example a typical current oil would be API SJ.

The second letter denotes the 'quality' based on a specific performance test. The further along the alphabet the second letter is, the more stringent test the oil has passed. Most current mineral oils are around SJ, but when your lightweight was built, the oil spec was SE or SF, so any modern oil is better than what was used when the Landy was built.

Just be careful buying really cheap oil as some of the 20w/50 oils don't have any API classification on the bottle at all.

EP 90 for everything else BUT you should use a GL4 specification EP90 in the series main gearbox rather than the newer GL5 specification because the GL5 has a higher concentration of an additive which can cause premature wear on the 'yellow metal' parts in the main gearbox. The axles etc don't have these parts, so GL5 can be used in these.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Diff

i have trouble finding GL4, GL5 seems to be the norm nowadays.....

Hi Mark, Comma do a range of gearbox oils which includes GL4 and GL5. I think their EP90 is a GL5, but they do a multigrade EP80w90 in GL4 which is fine, being a multigrade, it is a little thinner when cold than EP90 so makes cold gear changes easier, but when hot it won't get any thinner than EP90 would, and offers the same hot protection.

I think people like Morris and others who provide 'classic' oils, still do GL4 spec EP90 too. This is because the leaching problem of 'yellow metal' parts with GL5 spec Ep90 will affect many 'old fashioned' classic cars too.

The trouble is, it is hard to find these oils on the shelf and they may have to be ordered. As you say, virtually everything sold over the counter is GL5 because modern gearboxes don't have the soft 'yellow metal' parts.

Regards,

Diff

I went to buy some ep90 the other day - they told me that its not so available these days (to them anyway they have to order in special - I can get it elswhere I know but they were lots of £'s cheaper) but suggested I use ep 80/90? I think as an alternative

What do you think would this be ok - I think it would but value your opinions

With regards to engine oil I buy a 25 L tub 15/40 of I think its motaquip from a local supplier - again worked out alot cheaper and I tend to change it after 3 months approx together with the axle oils

Its for my 200tdi disco engined 90 "Toy" - I only do around 2k miles a year.

Cheers

Steve

I use EP80/W90 in my transfer box and axles, it not that different to EP90 and is easier to get hold of... i usually change it every 6 or 8k anyway...

enginewise, i use ASDA diesel oil, 15W40, its about £7 for 5 litres, seams fine, but i only keep that in for around 4k...

the truck is a 300TDi disco... 'N' reg, 116,000 miles....