Heritage Defender look alike...

Guest MJG

In the absence of being able to locate a suitable one and then in a quest to recreate the following look.....

w736mae-0001.jpg

Question 1 - How would the alloys be painted. What prep would they need and what would be the best way to paint them.

Question 2 - What does 'powder coated mean' the bumpers are described as silver powder coated - how would you acheive the same look.

Question 3 - The green colour is 'Atlantic Green'. This heritgae model also comes in 'Bronze Green' - but what coulour is the roof.

Question 4 - What is the best way to prep and paint the back of the mirrors to match and also the wheel arch eyebrows - these seem to come in various types, which are the best types to fit and paint to match the body colour.....

Much info requested but thanks for help in advance.

Question 2 - What does 'powder coated mean' the bumpers are described as silver powder coated - how would you acheive the same look.

Okay, brief explanantion of powder coating - google will give you more/better detail

Powder coating is like painting but with dry powder, in very basic terms the item to be coated is positively charged and the powder (usually a acrylic with a colour tone mixed in) is negatively charged. The powder is then "sprayed" onto the item, in this case a bumper. The negatively charged powder particles repel each other whilst the positvely charged bumper attracts them, this gives a very even depth to the finish, and also means that the powder can be sprayed from one side but will still reach all parts of the bumper, including inside hollow sections etc. The bumper is then baked to harden the powder.

All in all it gives a smooth, hard wearing, thick, corrosion resistant finsh. It is an industrial process that cannot be easily performed at home

Cheap though, my local place will do cash jobs in black white or silver for 20quid a pallet, colours are more expensive IIRC

Hope this helps :) No doubt a proper adult will be along soon to help you with the rest

Lewis

Question 1 - How would the alloys be painted. What prep would they need and what would be the best way to paint them.

Question 3 - The green colour is 'Atlantic Green'. This heritgae model also comes in 'Bronze Green' - but what coulour is the roof.

Question 4 - What is the best way to prep and paint the back of the mirrors to match and also the wheel arch eyebrows - these seem to come in various types, which are the best types to fit and paint to match the body colour.....

1, alloys would be etch primed & then primed & top colour coats applied

2, as explained above ^^^^^^ by Lewis :)

3, 90's were available in this atlantic green or bronze green, 110's only in the bronze green IIRC. roof is most likely ivory or limestone [series vehicle colour]

4, a special plastics primer would be applied & then primer/top coats

here's another Atlantic green Heritage 90 :)

HeritageTd590.jpg

hth :)

Edited by western

Guest diesel_jim
Alloys look like standard Freestyles - no idea if they were available as standard in Atlantic Green though.

Wheel, alloy road, 7.0x16,tornado, atlantic green, "90" heritage.... STC60715 :D

Thanks for the input every body. I actually really like the colour. The Bronze green is a nice coulour but IMHO in this colour it looks much more 'retro' which is obviously the effect that LR have gone for.

I very nearly bought one of these in this colour a few years ago when I bought my last Discovery but passed on it due to the fact it had quite a nasty oil leak from what looked like the head gasket area. Plus Jan thought it was much too 'agricultural'.... damn cheek. We now have an 'agreement' that we each own and drive which cars we want to (she now has an MX-5) so the next change will not involve her input.

I've never seen one since and would like to look at owning one again at some point - it would depend how much I could get one for as they do I understand command a premium because of the 'exclusivity'.

If I couldn't source one I was wondering how to recreate the same look - hence the questions - thanks again for the swift reposnses.

Guest dew110CSW

The only part I could see you having issues with would be the grille, because as far as I know replacement ones would be hard to come by.

Other than that all the modifications can be easily re-created. Imagine a V8 Model B)

The only part I could see you having issues with would be the grille, because as far as I know replacement ones would be hard to come by.

Or you could just buy one from the dealer, still a stocked/avaliable item AFAIK.... well they were last time I checked. Not that cheap though.

As is the green leather interior... though I think Exmoor trim had some on special offer too.

Ian

Guest diesel_jim
Or you could just buy one from the dealer, still a stocked/avaliable item AFAIK.... well they were last time I checked. Not that cheap though.

As is the green leather interior... though I think Exmoor trim had some on special offer too.

Ian

Grille,radiator painted,silver powder coat,Heritage 2.5 5 cyl turbodiesel. STC60713 :D:D

Grille,radiator painted,silver powder coat,Heritage 2.5 5 cyl turbodiesel. STC60713 :D:D

I would have done that if i'd been at home ;)

Is that the Air Con spec grill, or the non air con one though??? :P:D

Two different types - actually as per above pics!

Ian

Ian

AHAIK Heritag Defenders have Air Con.....

AHAIK Heritag Defenders have Air Con.....

Don't think they do :P .... was an option AFAIK ;)

If you look at the two pictures that have been posted above, the first one doesn't have air con, the second one does - you can tell by the 'bull nose' grill and slightly different grill panel.

Ian

Don't think they do :P .... was an option AFAIK ;)

If you look at the two pictures that have been posted above, the first one doesn't have air con, the second one does - you can tell by the 'bull nose' grill and slightly different grill panel.

Ian

Got you - I see what you mean.

Guest diesel_jim

Ian

Hmmmm.... that was for non A/C vehicles, my cr@ppy microcat hasn't got the air con part number listed.... it must be too old?