If you value this forum's future please support us

Rustyv8    1

Hi guys,

Rebuilding a 1985 90 with a 1987 RRC classic 3.5 carb V8 (none of which I disassembled in the first place, so makes the reverse process harder!)

So i now have to connect the dizzy and coil etc and checking if I've got the right bits and a few questions:

- There is a 3pin connector on the side of the distributor as per photo, does the amplifier connect directly into this or is there a cable connecting the two of them?

- where does the other end of the amplifier connect to? Is that direct to one of the coil terminals and what cable is needed?

- from what I can tell I need to get my hands on part number STC1184 plus a connector cable? Anything else missing? (HT leads, coil pack etc are already in place, all new)

Sorry for the dumb questions, but 'sparky' stuff not my strong suit at all ?

Cheers all...

IMG_1170.JPG

Rustyv8    1

Oh boy.... zero replies.... were my questions that dumb??? ?

L90-v8    3

I think there must be a cable missing to connect the magic eye to the ignition amp my amp was bolted directly to the side of the dizzy body with a tiny plug connecting it up plug my disco has a large waterproof plug on the side of the dizzy an the amp is located on the front panel with a loom joining the two together neither of my dizzys have that type of plug are the insides original? 

the ignition amp wires go to the coil I think ones white and the other is white and black

Rustyv8    1

Thanks for that. Yeah I've been trying to see where the amp module would actually mount on the dizzy and there is no obvious place really either. I figured there was a cable missing as you said, but can't see it on any parts diagrams at all.... it all came from the same RRC so should be correct I guess....

timc1967    2

It's a great question, I'm just lurking waiting for the answers.

• Like 1

Bowie69    382

It looks new, is it possible it's an aftermarket item?

I don't recognise it to be honest, but then I stopped messing with clockwork a while ago...

Rustyv8    1

Ok so my saga continues. I went digging in a box of spares that came with the engine (which admittedly I had kinda forgotten about....Duh!)

Turns out the connector is for a Lumenition ignition system which was on the RRC it came from! So at least the mystery is solved ? I found the box and connectors buried deep in said box so hopefully no damage....

Question now is whether it works on the 90, form what I can see and have read it should be largely just plug-and-play in the 90 - right??

FridgeFreezer    369

Lumenition module should work on anything, usually the just need +12v power & connected to the dizzy / coil.

• Like 1