Disco 2 V8i PICKUP

MattMatt

Ok so here we go - ( due to time issues this going to come in lots of posts

I've always liked the LongRanger but I couldn't find a decent D2 V8 that had a crunched rear until my friend Rob rolled his at an RTV event.  The deal was done and I drove this back home

A little battered especially around the roof but some good ATs, steering guard and diff guards were already fitted together with a CDL conversion.  And of course it;s a V8 with LPG

IMG_0436.JPG

Shortly after that I collected the panels from Clinton at LongRanger.  Roof, Cab rear, Wings, Light Pods and some other small bits of trim.  At the same time I tried to remember everything Clinton told me about how to fit it up - and failed.

IMG_0442.JPG

Next - fun with the disc cutter.

Basically I tried to follow the pics on the LongRanger website only to find out that the RRC they are converting is very different to a D2.  To cut a long story short I was trying to leave the inner wings in place but ended up cutting the whole of the rear body off.  The roof is cut behind the b pillars and the floor just in front of the rear seats

Roof-has-gone-sml.gif

Rear-body-cut-(2)-sml.gif

Once the body was removed I discovered terminal rot in the rear of the chassis so in a fit of madness I took the disc cutter to it.  After some lots of trial fits of the new panels and messing around with Photoshop I eventually decided on a medium length for the bed which gave the length of the chassis etc.

Terminal-rear-chassis.gif

Disco-Mockups-4.gif

Edited by MattMatt

The whole of the rear bed is supported by a box section frame which I drew up in Draftsight to get some idea of how it would all fit.  First came the floor section which was tacked to the top of the floor of the rear footwell.  After that the cab support bars and the side bars were built up from the base and new chassis rails welded in to support it all.  It sounds easy  - it wasn't.  Getting the whole thing square and level with the cab was a nightmare and involved lots to cutting, tacking and rethinks.  

Floor-squared,-centred,-leveled-and-welded.gif

Cross-bars-for-LPG-tank.gif

Edited by MattMatt

Once I was happy with all that everything was filled with Corroless and the roof secton together with the rear of the cab could all be fastened down before I set about extending the wiring loom back for the lights, fueld tank etc..  The next bit involved cutting panels out of aluminium tread plate sheets to form the floor and sides.  Really tedious work and very heavy on slitting/cutting discs.  However the result if ok

Rear-cab-and-roof-fixed.gif

Tub-panels-fixed.gif

The tail gate is from an RRC and and rear light pods are made to match the contours etc.  Getting all this to line up is a work of are in my opinon and my attempt is not perfect however it isn't bad either.  The light pods are filled with round LED units, top and bottom are indicators while the two middle ones are stop/tail.  The fog and reverse go into the rear bumper

Rear-pre-permanent-fitting.gif

StopTail-test.gif

So to the final sprint  - getting all the panels on.  The wings are bolted to the front using the rear door fixings but the rest involves the use of a a great deal of Sikaflex.  To be honest I wasn't too sure about this but I have been really impressed so far.  Nothing has come apart and it has stayed waterproof.   I must have used 15 tubes though

IMG_1008.gif

As I had round lights at the rear, the square D2 headlights looked a bit strange.  I found a complete new front end via Boltonbits and though eye wateringly expensive I ordered it anyway.  Not too impressed with the fit either as the light pods didn't match up to the headlight fixings and the whole thing has to be messed with (cut about) before it would sit right.  I'm still not happy with it but I like the look

New-front-panel.gif

Edited by MattMatt
typo

So to paint.  I was in the USA and saw a truck that had been sprayed with Upol Raptor which is a bed liner.  The owner told me it was really easy to apply (just an underseal gun) so I duly watched the videos. read the instructions and took the plunge.  It was fairly easy to mix and apply producing a great finish on a surface that was not perfect to start with.  The effect is fairly military but that fits right in the off road look I wanted.

Not quite finished but I have had other concerns for the last 12 months but here are some more pics

D2 Pickup (1).JPG

D2 Pickup (2).JPG

I do like the full body kit all the way to the back as you've done, it definitely looks better proportioned, but if you're building one to use as a truck, i prefer the cab kit without the rear body.

I built this one in 3 days and it was painted and back on the road within 5. It's a much easier build, just cut away what you don't need and the rear of the cab goes straight on followed by the roof panel.

I'll be starting another one soon and think we'll lengthen the chassis this time to give it better proportions and possibly a tipper.

IMAG0414.thumb.jpg.7d66368c34417061370a9f997b8139e9.jpg

One question for those who has done a LongRanger build, Do you add any reinforcement between the B-post  ?

I had to add a small bar in the rear of the cab, whenm I did mine, and I had already added the structure from the side of the root to the rear.

img_04811.jpg

Here is what I needed to add

5a2e8d82e2055_2015-04-1114_36_08.thumb.jpg.3a72c251d2694a68e9614e2060c6b2d7.jpg

Sorry for disturbing your thread.

The roof is cut just behind a strengthening rib that runs side to side so theoretically there's no need.  I guess you could add one if you felt the need.  It's a very well designed kit that's made to be as simple as possible to fit.

I did type up a full set of instructions for the cab kit i used for Clinton to give with the kits.  If i can find it i'll post it up.

Sorry to the OP for the thread hijack.

Looks like a really good job on that build, how did you find painting it with the bed liner? We had a body shop spray ours but they did moan about painting the fibreglass.

Cheers

Dave

Yes you can put the drivers seat all the way back, the rear cab section goes on where the front edge of the rear seat would be (so it keeps the rear footwell).

Haven't found any issue with a blindspot at junctions, the rear cab window is very big and there isn't a big area behind the front door. They make really useful pick ups.