How can I stop a permanent live flattening the battery?

Anderzander

I’m planning to put heated seats, USB sockets,  along with a diesel heater in my series - powered from a separate fuse box off the battery, which lives under the passenger seat.

There is no other wiring there - so I’m thinking if I want to stop the heated seats being left on and flattening the battery I either need to run a switched live in to a relay or perhaps fit a timed relay?  

Any pro’s and cons to either or any other option I’ve not listed ? 

You could consider wiring it through a voltage sensing relay so that everything goes off if the voltage drops below a predetermined level. I have one on my motorcycle that cuts the supply at 12.6v IIRC...

We kill the vehicles with a master switch - the approved one - and have a seperate battery for the Webasto, radio etc. No risk for running out of starting power.

Charging is arrange through a UYBI control box.

On 01/01/2018 at 8:05 PM, ThreeSheds said:

You could consider wiring it through a voltage sensing relay so that everything goes off if the voltage drops below a predetermined level. I have one on my motorcycle that cuts the supply at 12.6v IIRC...

That sounds a brilliant idea ... I like that I can keep everything centred in the seat box with that. This is for my 80 and I want the modern creature comforts as hidden as possible.

On 01/01/2018 at 8:11 PM, Arjan said:

We kill the vehicles with a master switch - the approved one - and have a seperate battery for the Webasto, radio etc. No risk for running out of starting power.

Charging is arrange through a UYBI control box.

I can see the merits in a 2nd battery for ancillaries and a master switch - but on this one I don’t have the space for a second battery and if we can forget to turn a heated seat switch off, I’m sure we could forget a master switch 😊

On 01/01/2018 at 9:37 PM, vulcan bomber said:

Trigger a relay off the oil pressure warning light between the battery and aux fuse box. Then you'll only be able to use the mentioned bits when your engine is running.

That’s an interesting thought .... I have an oil pressure sender that won’t be being used.

Good food for thought there - thank you.

to switch off my 2nd [winch] battery's voltmeter when ignition/engine is off I fitted a simple 4 pin 30 amp relay like this -----------

ignore the line about the 24v light on dash that was for my old original warning light panel which is no longer fitted as I retrofitted a td5 pack.

batterygaugerelay.jpg

VSS unit is PRC4427 http://www.brit-car.co.uk/product.php/89705/0/voltage_sensitive_switch____defender___discovery___range_rover_classic make sure your sat down before looking at the NEW price :o:wacko:

Wow ! That’s an expensive relay !! 

I had been looking at this type:

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/voltage-sensitive-relay-12v-140a.html?gclid=Cj0KCQiAvrfSBRC2ARIsAFumcm8DNznSGHmFS6qN4GxJi7Rsj4dgh_LK7U-XtBfSx0dbWLqvuyl_4JIaAuYaEALw_wcB

i think I found them a bit cheaper somewhere else too.