Something’s broke, what’s this noise

200 TDI. See video. This loud clacking sound coming from the engine bay, increases frequency with revs. 

History: This happened last fall and mechanic replaced the vacuum pump. The noise went away but it was then low on power and lots of white smoke. Mechanic told me I needed to rebuild the engine. I took it home and adjusted timing (advanced) and that fixed it. I drove it around for about 1 week with no problems, no smoke, no noise, great power...and now suddenly the noise is back! It can’t be the vacuum pump again?!

https://youtu.be/unMwD3PDZeg

Edited by lmwong

Welcome to the forum.

I find it quite hard to tell from the video clip where that noise is coming from but to me it sounds like something heavy - can you feel any heavy vibration when driving? Does it make it when your Land Rover is stationary with the bonnet up and reving the engine or only when driving?

Have you inspected the condition and security of the engine and gearbox mounts as a start? If the rubber mount is badly deteriorated it can cause excessive noise and vibration.

1 hour ago, monkie said:

Welcome to the forum.

I find it quite hard to tell from the video clip where that noise is coming from but to me it sounds like something heavy - can you feel any heavy vibration when driving? Does it make it when your Land Rover is stationary with the bonnet up and reving the engine or only when driving?

Have you inspected the condition and security of the engine and gearbox mounts as a start? If the rubber mount is badly deteriorated it can cause excessive noise and vibration.

Thanks Monkie, the sound does not occur at idle. It only comes on when using the accelerator, regardless of whether the car is parked or on the go. The higher the revs the louder and faster the noise. There is no vibration when driving.

Edited by lmwong

as said, can't quite make out the noise. I had a similar noise, some time after swapping my vacuum pump, really harsh tapping, this is on a 300 tdi mind, and I tracked it down to something silly. The air filter canister sits in a cradle, that sits on a shelf. This shelf has 2 upper bolts and a diagonal brace to a lower bolt. This diagonal brace is removed to assist changing the pump, to give better access. Anyway the lower bolt had fallen out, allowing the brace to vibrate against the block, and resonate loudly through the air intake system on acceleration, sounded like an old ford transit. So check the lower bolt. As I say,mine is a 300 , so 200 may be a bit different.