Defender Puma 110. Brakes

Hi there,

I am new in the forum. I just bought a Land Rover Defender 110 Puma 2008. Thanks in advance for the support.

It has an issue that it goes slightly to the left when I break. I have taken the wheels off and assessed the brakes / disc brakes, finding the following:

Front brakes:

Left:
pad left: 10mm
disc brake: 7mm & 7mm
pad right: 10mm
regular wear along both pads, they seem fairly new (new 12 - 12.7mm)
disc has slight depression of circa 1mm

Right:
pad left:9mm
disc brake: 8mm left, 6.5-7mm right
pad right: 8.5-9mm
regular wear along each pad, but disc seems slightly more worn on right / outer side.
disc also has slight depression of circa 1mm

NOTE: See photos attached, for the left and right wheel.

According to the manual, the disc breaks should be around 24 mm (they now are around 21-22mm) and the new break pads should be around 12.7mm (only needing to be replaced when they are 3mm).

Any advice on what could be causing the issue and whether I should replace the break pads and/or disc breaks? If so, what manufacturer would you recommend, where could I buy the parts in Cape Town and what price should I expect?

Thanks,
Javier

20180210_160724_001.jpg

20180210_161459.jpg

Take out the pads on one side, push the brake pedal slowly, ideally with an assistant so you can watch the pistons move and identify if one is sticking. 

Dont let the pistons move all the way to the disk! 

If one sticks, place something in front of others to stop them moving, press brake a bit harder. 

Carefully clean the pistons with brake cleaner, remove any rough rust with wet/dry paper, oil lightly with brake fluid, press pistons back in and refit pads. 

Do other side. 

Have you checked your tyre pressures? Are they equal on both sides? Also, are the tyres equally worn?

One more thing to think about is the road you do your testing on. Does it have excessive camber on it? If so, the car will naturally drift to the left when braking.

Jon

Once you've checked the tyre pressures and are confident (as advised above) that the brake cylinders are all moving, I'd start looking at the bushes underneath the truck.

Drag link / Hockey stick rubbers will allow the axles to move under braking if they are worn.. This will give a steering effect similar to braking issues.

One other simple / cheap thing to try would be to bleed the brakes to make sure no air in the system upsetting the balance of braking.