Squealing fan belt

When my alternator failed on my 300tdi I took the opportunity to have an auto-electrician replace it as there were other electrical problems with an aftermarket alarm that had been fitted.

Unfortunately he managed to break the lower alternator securing bolt and had to drill it out and I assume he used an insert to repair it. In doing so he seems to have changed the vertical position of the face the alternator sits against, altering its position and the fan belt has squealed ever since. He also managed to cut the fan belt and put a hole in the rad, but that's another story.

There were no washers on either the top or bottom fixing bolts when I got it back but I cant seem to get the position right to stop the squealing. Can anybody tell me if there should be washers between the front face of the alternator and the block?

Thanks. My Haynes manual says to make a note of any washers and there position but there were none. I can see the bottom mount face on the block has been altered but inserting one or two washers doesn't help. Maybe it is too proud?

8 hours ago, soutie said:

This is a website that I use for parts diagrams and then links to who sell the items at what price. It shows no Washer on the long bolt as per above. 

https://www.landroverworkshop.com/diagrams/engine/300tdi/alternator_53172

I looked there too, no washers. But the Haynes manual does say to note the position of any washers.

9 hours ago, simonpelly said:

Does this help?

IMG_0997.JPG

Thanks, no washers at top anyway.

8 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Do you have any photos to show what you have?

I’ll have a try but i’m not sure ther is enough room to get an image of the damage face of the lower alt. Securing bolt.

No washers on mine when I changed them, but then again I have recently developed belt squeel as well after replacing a number of belt driven components. I "fixed" with belt dressing in the end as I was at a loss to what it was and I didn't want to go replacing parts I'd just replaced and I'm reasonably confident that all the pullys are running fine. I've had misalignment on a previous car and it was quite obvious just looking at it while the belt was running that it wasn't quite true.