Replacement door mirror

An idiot in a transit van managed to swerve onto my side of the road this morning and smashed my drivers side mirror. Are the glass replacements ok, or is it easier to get a whole new unit? Seems a waste to replace the whole thing when only the glass is smashed but I didnt know if the glass replacements were any good or not. Thoughts appreciated.

I think this is the right glass for a 1989 110?? https://www.lrdirect.com/RTC4341-Mirror-Glass-90-110-Convex-8X5/

Hi I have used replacement glass successfully - it was Britpart even ( I mean how could they mess that up? Glass is glass, right? Alright don't answer) The trick is warm the black plastic round the edge with something like a hot air gun - don't go mad, but if you don't warm it it is really difficult to manipulate. Took about 5 mins to fit a glass

If you do replace the glass let us know how you get on.

I broke my drivers side mirror in 2011 and still haven’t got round to replacing it. Have the new glass ready, so would be keen to see if it’s as simple as I hope! I had planned to use warm water to soften the rubber.

just peel off the rubber capping, wash it in hot water, swap the new glass in & refit the capping, just ease it back on, leaving it in hot water then a quick dry with a towel before refit works everytime for me.

Haha. A run of bad luck lately Mo! Writing off the BMW was pretty unlucky....! I guess surviving the crash was more lucky though :-)

In terms of the mirror, I picked up RTC4341 - I dont really like the convex mirror and preferred the old flat ones. Fitting was easy enough with a small snag.... I boiled the kettle and then emptied it over the rubber surround. This was then really flexible and came off pretty easily. The glass was easy to remove. The new glass was about 3mm taller than the mirror body. I poured hot water over the mirror body and then used a couple of clamps to squeeze the sides. Quickly dried the body and added a couple of small spots of sikaflex to hold the mirror in place (probably unnecessary). The clamps and the more flexible body enabled me to carefully squeeze the new glass in. The rubber was still flexible enough to get back around the mirror (if it isnt, then have another kettle full of hot water handy). Cleaned up with a rag and job done. I do prefer the flat mirror though rather than the distortion the convex glass gives but i couldnt find one of these replacements quickly.

• Like 2