Engine Saver Low Coolant Alarm

I knackered a 300Tdi by cooking it after losing the coolant. With the next engine I fitted a Range Rover header tank that had a sensor on it and a simple circuit that flashed a light and sounded an alarm when the level dropped.

Here's what I did from another poster - 

Cheers

Peter

Edited by Puffernutter

Thanks, had a skim read of all of the links. The solution in the video looks more elegant - not keen to drill a hole in the expansion tank (where coolant could leak out! ;) ) and prefer a tried and tested solution from many installs etc

What age/model of Range Rover are we talking about for the header tank you used please?

Re-reading what I did - it's just the cap you need. I think the reference is in the link I put in my edited message.

RR float switch header tank cap coolant level sensor PRC7925

The trouble is the sensor in the cap is electronic so you need some sort of driver to operate a relay that then drives a light/alarm.

This was the original install from the guy that made the electronics box

http://forum.difflock.com/viewtopic.php?t=10972

Cheers

Peter

Edited by Puffernutter

Yes I have one on my RV8 - the low coolant sensor goes into the top radiator hose and the temp sensor bolts to a bolt in the head.  Works very well sounding if the coolant is a bit low and if the engine starts to get a bit warm.  I have the temp alarm set 10c above the normal operating temp of the engine.  I measures actual engine metal temp not coolant  temp which can give a false reading - most cars have an OEM coolant temp gauge anyway.

Garry

The RRC sensor cap is what I've used along with the little black box from Tim in my earlier link so it operates correctly, 

on my td5 warning light panel I have the black box green led for OK & wired the fail into the unused water in fuel warning light.all the info in my links above.

As far as I can tell...

If you have a gen parts RRC cap you will probably need some simple electronics to drive the warning light.

If you use an aftermarket one you can probably use a small relay to do the job.

• 2 weeks later...