Fuse box electrical issue?

Mutley

I have got a Nextbase 312gw dash cam and a Nextbase hard wire kit....

Dash cam works fine..... (power off from the computer and power off the fag lighter and cable in the defender 300tdi)

Followed hard wire instructions, switch on and NOTHING!?!

So to check the hard wire kit wasn't faulty i took the live straight from the battery, dash cam fires up straight away!

So using the piggyback fuse system they supply, i put the connection back in the fuse box, using a switched live fuse, turn the ignition on and again NOTHING!?!

All electrics work as they should!

All earth straps have been recently checked and are good!

When i checked the hardwire from the battery,  i kept the piggyback fuse in line! So it would seem the kit is ok? 

Just when connected into the fuse box i get NOTHING!!!

Any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Cheers Andy 

Edited by Mutley

So it could be just the case of turning it around then???

That is a great bit of info on the fuse pins FridgeFreezer, i never knew thats how they worked, being just a simple lad and all that. You are a diamond 

In theory, if you have a fuse in the "original" circuit part of the adapter (depending how it's wired) then both pins would have +12v on them and it would just feed the "wrong way" through the cig lighter fuse and then into the adapter fuse.

Hard to tell without seeing the thing.

20190105_235744.thumb.jpg.342256ce919a50d85c49c9ef9de2531b.jpg

This is the piggyback fuse holder....

Bottom slot is for the original fuse (10 amp fag lighter)....... Top slot for dash cam (2 amp fuse)

It is in place now and the fag lighter works fine but NOT the dash cam!?!

@#$%€&* frustrating  to say the least

9 hours ago, Mutley said:

So it could be just the case of turning it around then???

Yep, perhaps. Did you have the fag lighter fuse in as well?

If you pu it in the 'wrong' way round you will need both fuses in to get it to work.

If this holder has both fuses in then it won't matter which way around it is plugged in.

Editted:-
Looking at other hardwire kits this blue connector seem to be a bullet connector not a crimp as looks like in this picture.
These instruction are for a crimp. If it is really a bullet connector you can skip the first test and try the probe between the plastic outer of the other side of the bullet and wire.
Note a picture of the real installation in the fusebox would help direct where to test and what could possibly be the problem

As for tests with a multi meter, first I would have it all plugged in as normal and ignition on and then test for 12v on the fusebox side of the blue connector in your picture (See green arrow in picture below)
You should be able to get a multimeter positive probe between the wire and the blue plastic to touch the metal of the crimp connector inside. If your probe is too big, then a metal pin or I use welding wire makes a great extension to stick in this gap.
If you have 12v here then the fuse box connector is working and may it is the blue crimp connector is not crimped properly.

Then if you do have 12v at this point, this is were it becomes difficult, I would use the pin to spear the positive wire just after the blue connector and check for 12v.
This is to check the crimp connector is working.

If this second test is working then you probably have a defective voltage dropper (usually near the usb end of the wire there is a little black box which has circuitry to drop the 12v to 5v for the usb input to the camera)
Note that when using the fag lighter wire this has it's own dropper

image.png.9b62c7237fb07450c0e69335c7d783e4.png

Edited by zardos

Ok up date....

@zardos ...... yes it's a genuine nextbase kit

So multimeter out checked battery..... 12.4v .......down a little i know, but i do a lot of short trips no more than 3 miles at a time and about x5 a day. So i am thinking this is about right?

Now the next test bothers me!?! .... i then check a switched fuse socket in the fuse box, this came back as 11.6v??? So i checked another switched fuse socket and got the same!?!

Now a drop of 0.8v from batter to fuse box seems somewhat excessive???

I would not worry about the voltage too much as the type of electronics used to convert the 12v to 5V for the usb connection are fairy flexible in input voltage and can usually convert anything from 7v upwards (assuming Nextbase have used the usual method of doing the conversion)

I would use the multimeter to check that the bullet connector is getting 12v and then check the the earth point is good.

Here's the story then!.........

Having read most of the instructions in the hsrd wire kit and checked voltage at various points, i connected up the dashcam, switch ignition on and after about 8 seconds it comes to life! Yipeeee

As i have exactly the same set up for HRH i proceeded to install hers into her little Peugeot 106, which was a damn site easier than mine! Grrrrr

Switched it on and up it fires straight away!?! Mmmmm different to mine me thinks! Hers comes on straight away, mine 8 seconds! Not happy!!!

So goes back to check mine out, multimeter in hand.... long story short, ok a fraction shorter!.... i remembered on HRH's that i had to put the piggyback fuse holder in the way round to be able to fit it in the crappy designed fuse box! So did the same on mine mainly because i was out of ideas and it was something to fiddle with whilst i was thinking. Switched ignition on and RESULT! it fires up straight away!!! Yeeeeeha!

Now what really p@#$%& me off is NOWHERE in the F@#!$%€& instructions does it mention that this f@#!$%€& piggyback thing needs to be fitted a certain way!!!!!!.....

Because if it did i wouldn't have wasted 5 f@#!$%€& hrs. of my life on a simple job! F@#$,  S%€&^,  B@#!$%&*

@ Mo Murphy...... It would seem 5hrs of torturous education accompanied with a story for you to laugh you butt off and chip in with a x5 word comment and collect x2 no sorry x3 (damn i clicked on one whilst reading your reply) hearts/like things at my expense! Oh such is life :)

• Like 1