Td5 looms into a earlier pre 1991 vehicle

2 hours ago, Scotts90 said:

And are ecu controlled. 

You’ll need to make up a loom to run tdi glow plugs

Remember you saying it’s ecu controled but is there a big thick wire in to the engine bay to the glow plugs 

I can sort the relay part later just need to connect under bonnet 

Edited by Green200tdi

Yes, you’ve found the 4 HT style glow plug connectors on the engine loom, basically defunct in relation to the tdi. 

Engine loom wise there’s very little to use...starter trigger, oil pressure switch, alternator tell-tale were the only compatible inputs/outputs. Iirc I didn’t use the td5 loom for the temp sender either. 

13 minutes ago, Scotts90 said:

Yes, you’ve found the 4 HT style glow plug connectors on the engine loom, basically defunct in relation to the tdi. 

Engine loom wise there’s very little to use...starter trigger, oil pressure switch, alternator tell-tale were the only compatible inputs/outputs. Iirc I didn’t use the td5 loom for the temp sender either. 

I’ve made up a new loom using a td5 n/s head light loom as it’s same plug,

looking at photos of td5 looms on eBay it would seem ( I could be wrong here)😂

any thick wires like glow plugs has a direct thick lead to battery?  hence why I’m unable to find a thick lead from main loom,

iirc the glow plugs from my110 come straight from ignition switch as you hold key over for 20/30 seconds,

just a little more to do now but all ready to go in 

when fitting loom do the big rubber grommets go in the original 110 holes ?

not wirried if don’t fit but it’s all about length oh wires 😊

0D0ACB3A-0697-4215-B927-0B1CF0541FC6.jpeg

16AEEE15-436F-433C-B7F6-3F8242079A7B.jpeg

Don’t think you can really get around the glow plugs issue. If you’ve replaced the barrel (I think you asked about that in another thread) then you don’t have the “hold” option, only way is to fit an ignition triggered timer relay for the plugs. 

The large grommets fit in the bulkhead apertures and have the appropriate holes for the heater Bowden cables, a squirt of wd40 helps the grommets ease in. 

5 hours ago, Scotts90 said:

Don’t think you can really get around the glow plugs issue. If you’ve replaced the barrel (I think you asked about that in another thread) then you don’t have the “hold” option, only way is to fit an ignition triggered timer relay for the plugs. 

The large grommets fit in the bulkhead apertures and have the appropriate holes for the heater Bowden cables, a squirt of wd40 helps the grommets ease in. 

So your saying the holes in my photos are the correct exits on the bulk head to engine bay for the td5 loom? 

Yeah ive gone from 110 ignition to td5 I’ll have to work out a way to live up glow plugs, timer relay I guess as you say, we get there 😂mind you 200 tdi never used the glow plugs on it always starts on bottom warm or freezing weather  👍

Edited by Green200tdi

6 hours ago, Scotts90 said:

When you take off the old cable covers below the drip rail it’ll become obvious. The round cable exit just above the bell housing becomes defunct as all fusebox wiring goes through the top two large grommets. 

Thank you 😊 

Just going thu this loom can’t see any cuts or joins which is strange for a Land Rover someone normally cuts something in to the looms  😂

but come across this wire white/ red tracer goes to starter 

see photo 

looks like a bodge with blue tape but has two black wires to right of photo,

any ideas 💡 

883E3E8E-7EB3-4E94-B8F2-5C25AE581A64.jpeg

So in other words, yes ,it is an immobiliser -my previous comment was being snarky about the quality of aftermarket immobiliser installations, just in case you hadn't picked that one up.

Unpeel it, and re-join the white/red wires. The black wires will be heading under the dash somewhere, and may be connected to a box, that is likely completely defunct now. they are unlabelled as otherwise it is a way for potential thieves to easily bridge the protection out.

Well as the weather is warm at present I’ve decided to start on the loom,

phase 1

under seat fuse box wired to battery,

its a start, anyone know the size of the hole for the big rubber loom gromit? 👍😊

01A9D488-DAD9-4131-BBB8-670EEC18F529.jpeg

Edited by Green200tdi