300 tdi first start from standing revs flat out

L19MUD

Car has stood for probably 3 years. Bled her up and started easily enough but strait to flat out so turned off

Throttle cable now slacked right off so it's on the stop at the pump. Is there something stuck in the pump? 

One of mine did this some years ago after being left. If I remember correctly I flicked the throttle lever on the pump a large number of times and it eventually it freed off whatever was stuck in the pump.

I am expecting to have to do it again shortly as I am putting a 300tdi I haven’t run for ten year in my hicap!

Edited by oneandtwo

Disconnect the intake pipe from the manifold to avoid any self fuelling moments .......been there a couple of times with inactive FIP's , not totally sure of the internal pump problem but iirc it's something to do with the start enrichment which when normal gives the little puff of black smoke when starting a Tdi .

I used M&C Diesel for my overhauls

... and have something to hand to block the intake should it not stop on the key........been there as well .

cheers

Steve b

Thanks Steve. Have had a bit of a read up and I think you are right - also makes sense that the cold start would get stuck as opposed to the normal throttle operating sticking open as obviously it has been sitting with the throttle not depressed.

I have found a copy of the Bosch VE technical operation manual. There seems to be a few versions of the cold start function so I need to work out which one I have and then see if it is easily accessible.

I will be trying oneandtwo's method first though!

Had a go tonight, throttle full and let go to release to try and shock it on the pump lever.

Manual not any use that I found

Think I will try and warm it up with the workshop space heater and try it again to see if the heat will help unstick it

Nail a bit of rubber to a 4" square bit of wood you can hold against the opening of the turbo to control the revs, abit of running may free it of. If not taking the top off and filling with diesel often helps along with a long soak.

19 hours ago, muddy said:

Nail a bit of rubber to a 4" square bit of wood you can hold against the opening of the turbo to control the revs, abit of running may free it of. If not taking the top off and filling with diesel often helps along with a long soak.

I like this idea. Will only be able to do this for a short while as the rear rad is not yet plumbed in. I just wanted to be able to start it and move it in and out of the workshop under its own steam.

Where do you mean re filling with diesel? Take the cover off where you can adjust the fuelling?

17 hours ago, smallfry said:

What Muddy has said ! Do NOT under any circumstances put your hand over the open intake in an attempt to stop it. 

Diesel vacuum at full throttle is quite capable of ripping the skin off your hand.

Been here, done this when I was young and stupid. Now older and just as stupid so will resist the urge to do it again!

Guys, there is absolutely no cold start assistants on the Bosch VE pumps built for either version of the Land Rover TDi engines. 

There is a spring inside the pump that lifts the throttle mechanism off the stop (the max fueling screw) for starting, but this is overridden by the governor when the engine has started, this is what gives the puff at start up.

The problem the op experienced is the governor has 4 fingers that move due to centrifugal force, the engine runs away because these fingers get stuck in the closed position. The governor works on the same principle as the governor on an old, steam driven beam engine.

Yep.  As above, the rest position is 100% fueling.  It needs to start to come off and the mechanism is stuck from crud and junk in the pump.

Get some diesel fuel conditioner.  Fill the pump with it.  Let it sit overnight.  Try again.  Repeat until fixed.

And, FYI, the cold start mechanism, which is not fitted to a Land Rover, advances the timing.  It has nothing to do with fuel rate.  Starting fuel rate is always 100% of the pump's capability.