Unimog 404 Diffs

Hello Peeps - Back again after a while but am in a bind. 

We have a modified spaceframe Defender on Unimog 404 axles that we compete with in the Rhino Charge in Kenya. Managed to bust both diffs last year and had sourced a couple from Doug on this forum - long story short - we shipped them out last July and they haven't got to destination! We are pursuing the shipper but it is going to be a case of compensation and in the meantime we desperately need to source 2 Diffs within the next few weeks so that we can get them shipped out and get working on the rebuild! 

Anyone happen to have spares lying around around or have any ideas where I could source from? 

Many thanks!

C

12549078_10153800566550196_7379467563147040475_n.jpg

You're in the UK now and they need to be shipped to Kenya ?

Or will you hand carry them..

I am no expert on Unimog so how many different diffs are there ?

or will any Unimog diff fit ?

I've got a friend whose got a yard full of stuff and I'd be surprised if he doesn't have some somewhere (has a couple of mogs for the business).

We spent 15 minutes wandering around a corner of his yard trying to find and entire 300Tdi engine. He knew it was in the north east corner but still took us 15 minutes of lifting up tarps on engines to find the right one...

If @steve b doesn't pan out I can ask him.

• Haha 1

On 1/24/2019 at 7:13 PM, steve b said:

Hi

I have 2 back axles from 404 model 'mogs , pm me if they are of interest

cheers

Steve b  

Thanks Steve B.  Would you be willing to break out the Diffs? We’ve already got working axles and shipping that weight down to Kenya a second time round will break the bank.  

Cheers

C

1 hour ago, Ed Poore said:

I've got a friend whose got a yard full of stuff and I'd be surprised if he doesn't have some somewhere (has a couple of mogs for the business).

We spent 15 minutes wandering around a corner of his yard trying to find and entire 300Tdi engine. He knew it was in the north east corner but still took us 15 minutes of lifting up tarps on engines to find the right one...

If @steve b doesn't pan out I can ask him.

Ed, would you mind asking him if he would have a couple lying around? Also - where is his yard? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks Everyone - So a bit of an update and questions too for all you experts. 

We've opened up the Diffs that we buggered last year to try and work out what went wrong and this is the diagnosis from our driver/navigator/engineer/mechanic ... 

1. We seem to have been running on different ratios for the front and rear diffs.

2. Our rear diff has 45 teeth whereas our original front diff has 39 teeth. 

3. We broke the Crown and Pinion on our original front diff in 2017 and replaced it with a loaner diff from a friend. That also sent pop within 2 hours of competing last year. Turns out that the replacement front diff has only 25 teeth. 

I always thought that the Mog 404 axles had only one diff ratio - And internet research suggests that is 39:11? 

SO we've either had two unmatched axles from the start (2008 which would explain a whole host of other problems we've experienced) or Mog 404's do come with different ratios? 

Any thoughts/ideas? 

I was under the impression all mog 404 diffs were 3.54(same as a landy). There were a few differences between early and late axles in reguards to the difflock but I thought that was as far as it went. It is possible that r&p from other models fit though...

sorry to hear the diffs went missing, did they even make it over or were they lost in the Warehouse at Heathrow?

Sorry.  I should have been more clear.  It was the Crown Wheels on the front and rear Diffs that had different sets of teeth.  

Our driver cum mechanic is convinced that it is these different ratios that caused us to break the crowns but I am not convinced and wonder whether there is some other issue here.