Brake Shuttle valve

Does anyone know what thread the plastic switch is that screws into the bottom of the shuttle valve. Its the valve thats fitted on the bulkhead of early 110s. Mines weeping but the switch is no longer used so was thinking some sort of bung. Especially when the valve is around £200 :blink:.

Mike

I know it's not quite the question answered but if the switch isn't used, isn't the shuttle valve pointless? I thought it was to detect a pressure difference Ie a leak in one circuit. If it's in't doing any detecting you could replace possibly replace it with a couple of joins or blank the feeds off. 

mike. my 110 had that valve and i had brake problems so i took it out and made 2 small link pipes. 

may have it somewhere still  

there is no need to change to a 300 master as 

1) its only a pressure differentiate indicator

2) you still got 2 circuits off the master so if 1 fails you still have 1 brake circuit. 

If it's like those on SIIIs, it doesn't shut off the leaking side - the PDWA unit on SIIIs is purely a warning system, made redundant by the far more effective level sensing caps of later vehicles.  If that is true of the Defender unit, then you'd be better off bypassing it - they tend to seize in place anyway and make bleeding far more of a chore.

The only thing that concerns me about bypassing it is the 300tdi master has 3 ports and no shuttle valve. We're as the pre 300 has 2 ports and a shuttle valve. There must be a reason for this. I'm sure I read some where it closes the leaking side but maybe wrong.

Mike

20 hours ago, miketomcat said:

The only thing that concerns me about bypassing it is the 300tdi master has 3 ports and no shuttle valve. We're as the pre 300 has 2 ports and a shuttle valve. There must be a reason for this. I'm sure I read some where it closes the leaking side but maybe wrong.

Mike

the older 110 split front to rear on master cylinder. 

the 3 port splits front and rear on 1 part of the master and the other front out the other port. so they must think its safer to run just 1 front rather than just rears in case of major leak which i can see the sense in that logic. 

21 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Mike

If using a PDWA unit, you wouldn't want to split left and right until after the unit - it can only deal with two circuits.  Once deleted, the master cylinder became the easy point to split the front system left and right.  A Tee could have been used nearer the front axle, I suppose, much like the rear or on the front of Series vehicles, but I'd be guessing at why it wasn't.

the earlier master 2 pipes goto the pdwa. from there 1 line does both rears, the other both fronts with a t by o/s/f spring seat in chassis. 

only way to split left/right or diagonal is to have 2 lines to the rear. 

the earlier master also has a bigger union on 1 port so i assume 1 stage of master creates more fluid movement. 

• 3 years later...

How did you solve this problem mate same things happened to mine?

On 2/14/2019 at 6:43 AM, miketomcat said:

Does anyone know what thread the plastic switch is that screws into the bottom of the shuttle valve. Its the valve thats fitted on the bulkhead of early 110s. Mines weeping but the switch is no longer used so was thinking some sort of bung. Especially when the valve is around £200 :blink:.

Mike

In the end I took it out completely. I bought a pair of female to female unions and joined the pipes this gave me a front circuit and a rear circuit. I had a low fluid cap already so loosing the fluid loss part of the PDWA wasn't a problem.

Mike