Welding a water pipe

ThreeSheds

While doing some work on the TD5 Disco the other day I accidentally caught the steel coolant pipe that runs behind the rad-stack with a grinder and put a little groove in it. It's not right through but I think that with temperature cycling and vibrations it would not be a good idea to leave it since it would almost certainly crack.

20190228_121330.thumb.jpg.1ab987045369054346e73bcd2cefb3f2.jpg

Since that pipe is expensive and looks like a bit of a pain to fit I was thinking of mig welding it in situ. I have drained that coolant, but there may still be a small amount of it behind where I would be welding. Is that likely to be a problem? (I am good enough that I won't be blowing through the steel, and I would clean the area first)

Cheers

Rog

i wouldnt do it with anything in the pipe. it wont work. at best itll end up brittle. also, i would doubt that that will fail, ive run worse for years. if your worried about it carry a length of hose and some jubilee clips for a emergency repair.

Edited by qwakers

thanks for the advice gents - bearing in mind what you have said I will clean it up and put some of that "QuickSteel" over it...

I will also check that the water level switch in the header tank is working - just in case :)

Rog

Clean up the area around the nick with some medium wire wool and do a little mix of 2 part epoxy resin, like Areldite and pool it around and over the nick, let it harden off and spray a bit of silver paint over it, you'll see then if it leaks inn the future at all.

• Like 1

I have a good condition pipe here you can have for £40, I brought it from a breaker as mine corroded through where the 2 pipes are welded together.

it wasn’t too bad a job to swap over, a couple of clips were a pain to get the pliers onto but otherwise ok.

let me know if you want it and I can get it package up 

Thanks

11 minutes ago, Jon W said:

I have a good condition pipe here you can have for £40, I brought it from a breaker as mine corroded through where the 2 pipes are welded together.

it wasn’t too bad a job to swap over, a couple of clips were a pain to get the pliers onto but otherwise ok.

let me know if you want it and I can get it package up 

Thanks

Thanks, but it's done now...