Arb air locker mind melt

I need some assistance from some one knowledgable I  have an arb air locker in the rear. I understand how lockers work. The locking gear moves across and locks 1 planetary gear to the casing . Non of the planetary gears can move so u have full drive in both wheels.

the diffs been out and in3 times now. It’s been back to Devon 4x4 twice, they say it all looks good! When u do a dummy test with the wheels off the floor everything works as expected unlocked and locked. The diff works just like a diff should on the road. No vibrations But When its locked crossing the axles up The right hand wheel is locked when moving forward. The left hand wheel can be off the floor and u still get full drive to the right. When the right hand wheel looses traction it just spins. The left just sits there. How can that be!? There is also a ticking which happens when in reverse right hand down. 

Air pressure good new internal seal. new housing seals  no leaks 

Ideas???? 

When locked up how often does your compressor kick in I had a similar problem  comp was kicking in slightly more regular issue turned out to be flange holding o ring not sitting squarely on the shaft I also fitted a slightly oversize o ring had no issues since I would also check all your connections back to the compressor 

Regards Stephen

Edited by Stellaghost
Alteration

Shaft broken to left or a similar problem - splines slipping, bolts not in the hub? There are different spline counts etc, I'm not sure if you can physically put the wrong components together? Is it all LR or is some aftermarket?

I had a similar problem on a locking diff (not an ARB though) and the gears were badly worn and were jumping when under pressure, looked ok until I got another diff and the edges of the teeth were badly rounded, they should've been much more square.

Not sure if any of that's relevant to your setup but knowing what diffs, shafts, end caps etc might help someone more experienced. :unsure:

Cheers . shafts are good. spines nice. not much metal on the magnet in the diff case first time I tried to fix. It’s not air related. Pressure is good. 90 psi no leaks 

Only the Right hand wheel is locked going forwards. Only the left hand wheel is locked in reverse

weird 

Edited by Rob s

Start with more details....  What vehicle?  What year?  What axle?  Are the halfshafts and drive flanges stock or aftermarket?

The locking collar locks the case to one side gear not to planetary gear.

As above, my guess would be a worn out spline, probably at the drive flange.

I haven’t got a landy. I have a navara. My mates have got Landys. The locker is an rd149. I just came to the landy forums because I presumed there would be a much bigger knowledge base here. And I am genuinely getting sick of this issue. All arb’s work in pretty much the same way 

I don’t think it can be a worn out spline.  I did some tests today 

The wheel that is truely locked seems to swap round between forwards and backwards 

2wd. 

locker engaged.

chocked front wheels 

Left side of the car jacked off the floor 
Reverse -left wheel spins only
1st -both wheels spin 

Right side of the car jacked off the floor 
1st -right wheel spins only 
Reverse -both spin

Cheers 

Have you tried stopping the wheels by hand (be careful, use a piece of wood levered off the floor). It could be its not locking at all and it's just one side is stopping due to resistance in the axle and tricking you?

Might be when you try stop a wheel with a stick it turns out its not locking at all?

Sorry, re read your post and your only jacking one rear wheel at a time? So left side of car jacked in first it actually moves forwards?

Edited by Cynic-al

18 hours ago, Rob s said:

I don’t think it can be a worn out spline.

Well, if you want help, you need to be open to suggestions.

Anyway.  Jack up both wheels.  Leave it in gear.  Unlocked, spinning one wheel should make the other spin backwards.  Locked, neither should spin.  If one can spin, does the other spin backwards, not at all or in the same direction?  Once you do these tests, you can start to focus in on the finding the broken item.

This is not rocket science.  It is beyond me why you mechanic could not figure out the problem is five minutes.  You just leave the diff cover off and see what is broken...

On 3/7/2019 at 2:13 PM, Red90 said:

This is not rocket science.  It is beyond me why you mechanic could not figure out the problem is five minutes.  You just leave the diff cover off and see what is broken...

This is why I have called it the mind melt. 

Ihave already done all the tests, as stated in my first post. It all works as it should unlocked and locked. But when it’s loaded it doesn’t. It definitely locks the right wheel forwards and the other in reverse. I have done 5 thousand miles since the issue started with no knocking or vibrations. The diff is sound if u use it in its open form.   I have messaged arb to try get answers 

If the teeth are all good on the cogs the only other thing I can think of without seeing it is is the axle bent? 

Is there a cover that comes off or is it a full strip down to get it out? If you can get a cover off try operating it and turning by hand to see if you can see whats not working. If it's a full strip down just get it on the bench with the shafts in and turn it by hand. Got to be something simple? 

Looking at your location you could try Derrick at LRS Offroad, he fits things like this so might be willing to put it on the ramp and take a look?

Edited by Cynic-al