Fuel filler extension tube gauze repair

Gazzar

The gauze on the extension tube on one of my tanks is damaged, it's ripped.

I'd like to repair it, with new gauze, had anyone done this before? Any tips?

Oh! Good source! 

I think the issue will be getting the gauze hot enough to take the solder, without burning it.

Once I've the tanks themselves done, I'll have a go.

22 hours ago, Gazzar said:

The gauze on the extension tube on one of my tanks is damaged, it's ripped.

I'd like to repair it, with new gauze, had anyone done this before? Any tips?

Almost, and Yes.

The Carmichael FT6, with its custom bodywork, didn't have an extension tube, because despite being side fill there wasn't space inside the vehicle for the straight run of pipe necessary to 'absorb' the extension. I decided to make one, even though I would have to carry it outside the tank, and therefore susceptible to attracting dirt.

I used a 7cm tea strainer from Wilkos for the gauze. This turned out to be a suitable diameter and also preformed into the essential convex shape.
As stated earlier, there are different designs of the filler neck and therefore extension tube. Mine happened to need three pips on the tube, to engage in three bayonet slots in the filler neck. There isn't need to go further with describing the construction as you already have the extension tube.

Regarding attaching and sealing a new gauze to solid pipe ...
Later on I made a long tubular metal gauze filter to go inside the standard Jerrycan. This was attached to the widely available alloy extension filler pipe so it was transferable from Jerrycan to Jerrycan. As you might imagine, this took a little more fabrication. The filter had to be long and tubular to get a suitable filter area, but also mishapen to get round the deflector plate that is an essential part of the true NATO spec Jerrican. The gauze in this case came from a 20cm kitchen strainer, also from the Wilko range.
The essential sealing, to ensure all the fuel went through the mesh, was provided by Sugra.
There are no pictures of this device.

Both units have been tested as part of the build process, but have not been extensively used on the road; there hasn't been the need.

I use diesel fuel, so cannot vouch for use with petrol.

Regards

TeaStrainer159w.jpg

Genius.

Thanks David.

It's the extension tube for an underseat tank, ex-MoD.  I've one in great condition, and one in fair condition which I'll try fix up.

I think I will need them, as the underseat nature of the tank filler means they are more likely to get dirt and debris whilst filling.

I love the strainer idea.  Love it.