Help diagnose my clutch problem...

SiWhite

Landy broke down yesterday :angry: at my meeting with Pugwash. Clutch stopped working. Symptoms as follows;

Pulled off the A303 and thought the clutch seemed a bit light - almost as if it is part way through being bled and there's still some air in the line. Stopped and pushed it in, and the pedal went down and stayed down. I pulled it back up with a toe and there it stayed. The thing is locked solid in the 'up' position, and solid as a rock. No air in it as there's still tons of resistance, and no sign of any olbvious leaks anywhere.

I know it's only going to be one of a couple of things - slave cylinder, clutch fork or maybe release bearing (which has rattled since new).

The clutch and fork are less than 18 months old.

Any ideas guys? I'll replace the slave as a matter of course, but does it sound as if it could be the fork?

Many thanks for any suggestions.....

Probably the fork although being so new I would double check the hydraulics too before taking the engine/box out. If the slave were to seize in the out position (piston against the circlip) it could give the same symptom - you would have no drive though...

Chris

My thoughts too Chris. I didn't think there was much it could stick / sieze against with no pressure in the hydraulic system.

My only thoughts as to siezing was that the operating rod could have come out of the detent in the fork and jammed the slave closed.....

My thoughts too Chris. I didn't think there was much it could stick / sieze against with no pressure in the hydraulic system.

My only thoughts as to siezing was that the operating rod could have come out of the detent in the fork and jammed the slave closed.....

Guess you will have to get the slave cylinder out and have a look in the bell-housing with a mirror on a stick...

Chris

If it's not a problem with the slave, then I would suggest fork.

Pivot point on clutch fork splits and the ball partly pushes through - so you suddenly get excess travel.

Press again and ball goes through the fork and grips it, so the pedal stays down.

Pull the pedal up with your foot, and you pull the innards of the slave far enough out to jam, or sometimes the innards come right out and you get total loss of clutch fluid.

If it is the fork, then fit a reinforced one. (18 months is carp BTW)

Les. :)

when you pull the slave out see if the pushrod is in roughly the same place as normal (if you can remember where normal is). when my fork went my pushrod was about 1-1.5" inside the bellhousing, normally it projetcs by about 1/4". how that varies between cars ive no idea though.

Well, she's finally fixed!

Masses of thanks to everyong who suggested possible causes. Turns out it was the old pivot-through-the-fork problem :angry:

Fitted a new genuine fork with a nice thick plate welded over the back, and new release bearing and slave cylinder for good measure.

Big thanks to Will Warne who lent me his engine crane to drop the gearbox out and took the p*ss out of my rusty old wagon!