Starting turning on an old lathe

Gazzar

I just had the contactor in mine die, I'd be looking at the start cap & contactor & checking the wiring before spending out on a motor.

Machine mart sell universal-fit motors, Brook Compton or Parvalux make the pukka stuff but it'll be pricey.

Thanks everyone.

Well, I finished the piece. A series three gearbox input pinion cover plate seal press tool. The seal is put in the 'wrong' way around, and so is easily damaged.

I spun the motor by hand then started it. That worked, even if the lathe wasn't actually turning when I started it.

What's a contactor? Is that the switch on the saddle?

And where do I get a decent capacitor?

IMG_20190824_215901.jpg

IMG_20190824_125310.jpg

Start caps can be had on ebay, I've had to replace a few over the years. The value isn't super critical if you can't find any numbers on the original.

I think Fridge means the centrifugal contactor inside the motor which cuts the cap out of the circuit once the motor is going. Its not always easy to get to! 

I'm not sure I want to go that far into the motor, but if it's an easy thing.....................

I'll get eldest to strip the cap from the motor.  He wants to be an electrical engineer, so it's about time he learned!

No I meant the big relay that goes "clunk" when you hit the start button, mine also had an overload device fitted which is what I think had failed... but if your motor will run when you spin it by hand I'd suspect the start cap.

Should have some values printed on it somewhere that you can match but as LoFi says it's not super critical and there's guidelines based on motor size/power.

• 1 month later...

I've a new cap, and hope to fit on Sunday. Eldest is studying electrics at uni, so I might "give him a learning opportunity" when he's home this weekend.

I might explore the work to reverse the motor on the drum switch, if he's up to it.

I've also bought a boring bar. Chinese, but should be good for my needs.

• Like 1

New cap is in, and it runs, occasionally.

On low rpm it usually starts. Medium or can start, but it can trip the motor trip on the capacitor box. It can run on high, but usually not. It's never tripped the consumer unit.

What I've noticed is that it hesitates on startup, I don't know if that's the motor, or the lathe, but the lathe spins freely enough when in top speed.

I don't know, I think a good quality motor would solve all these problems.

Good call. My lathe motor used to make that kind of noise with the bodged reverse switch it came with. This consisted of two rocker switches ganged together by a glued on piece of plastic. The plastic fell off, leaving the switches to be moved independently. Well you've got to see what happens, right? Janky, erratic running is what happens. I've since replaced with a proper (vintage) drum contactor, for which I've still got the wiring diagram if it'll help? 

If you could, that might help. I've been meaning to disassemble that drum switch anyway, as part of the plan to get reverse working.

No rush, it will be ages before I get back to this. Too many projects!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

I'm getting back to this, as i want to get this completed.  The motor is off the machine, so I'll wire it direct to see what it does.  But if it runs badly I'll just get a new unit.

Well, that's odd. I hooked up the motor, off the machine.

And it's running fine with no load.

So, I've reinstalled it. Heavy brute. And I can run the lathe in all of the slower speeds, 7 out of twelve. Anything higher and it either needs a spin of the chuck to start or trips out the power.

I think that will do for my level of messing about. Once I've a bit of clear time, I'll do more work on this, as is like the machine to be fully functional, including reverse.

• 2 years later...

Not been doing much on the lathe recently, but when I did, it didn't start in any gear. So, when I saw a 3kw 4 pole motor on eBay for not a lot of money, I bought it.  And a decrepit box arrived today. I wasn't disappointed, the casing had been broken in transit. Let's see how good the seller really is....

IMG_20221219_103111.jpg

IMG_20221219_195643.jpg

IMG_20221219_195652.jpg

IMG_20221219_103105.jpg