Project Continuation Questions :

SHY 7G

Seat Box Height

OK, may be a different question to normal, but could someone give me the height of the seat box out of a series 2a / defender?

I've done away with seat box in mine and put in a flat floor right the way across the drivers & passengers floors. So by having this height I'll have the approx. seat height somewhere near to start with, then I can adjust accordingly to suit. 

• 4 months later...

Sorry Bowie69,  Just asking continued questions as they come up for my project, far easier I think asking in one post instead of keep on adding new posts just to ask a straightforward  question (have amended top entry by adding the date asked).

SWOOSH GAUGE INSTALLATION: Just asking if someone can verify that the wiring connections I've listed are correct ot not?

thanks

Rich

Do you have the standard wiring diagram? It's in the manual.

Are these aftermarket gauges? Because, I think, the senders and gauges have to be matched in type, otherwise the signal will be meaningless.

What Gazzar said - also those colours are not LR colours;

Green is switched fused ignition live in a Series,

White is ignition live

Red/white is gauge illumination

Light green is the regulated side of the voltage regulator which you probably don't want for aftermarket gauges.

Green/black is fuel sender (std S3)

Green/blue is water temp (std. S3)

There's no standard oil pressure sender on Series, Green/Brown was for oil temperature, the Range Rover diagram suggests light green / brown is the std. colour for oil pressure gauge.

14 hours ago, Gazzar said:

Do you have the standard wiring diagram? It's in the manual.

Are these aftermarket gauges? Because, I think, the senders and gauges have to be matched in type, otherwise the signal will be meaningless.

the clue is in the question SWOOSH GAUGE INSTALLATION:  obviously not Land Rover??

To be honest, you've not really explained what you are doing properly at all.

We are supposed to guess what vehicle it is going in, know what gauges 'swoosh' are, and where you got the diagram.

If you rephrase the and state the question properly then maybe we can answer properly, until then I think people have been as much help as we can be.

On 10/19/2019 at 4:28 PM, SHY 7G said:

No not to date, something will more than likely do now in the spring when the loom is fitted to the vehicle

If there's no sensors with them, do they say what sensors they need?

Almost every sensor & gauge is different - that's why gauges on engine conversions almost always read wrong because (for example) a TDi gauge won't read a V8 temperature sensor, or a Defender fuel gauge won't read a Series level sensor...

On 10/20/2019 at 11:12 PM, FridgeFreezer said:

If there's no sensors with them, do they say what sensors they need?

Almost every sensor & gauge is different - that's why gauges on engine conversions almost always read wrong because (for example) a TDi gauge won't read a V8 temperature sensor, or a Defender fuel gauge won't read a Series level sensor...

thanks for the heads up, all the gauges I have are aftermarket so I presume they will all use a standard common sensor unit, I have several to hand so can check different sensors with each gauge to get the best calibration.

Cheers

1 hour ago, SHY 7G said:

thanks for the heads up, all the gauges I have are aftermarket so I presume they will all use a standard common sensor unit, I have several to hand so can check different sensors with each gauge to get the best calibration.

I wish you every luck with that - the gauges don't come with details about the sensors it could be a very tedious process, if you value your time it could actually be cheaper to just buy VDO gauges & senders that you know work together.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I wish you every luck with that - the gauges don't come with details about the sensors it could be a very tedious process, if you value your time it could actually be cheaper to just buy VDO gauges & senders that you know work together.

Although I've already set the gauges in the custom centre dashboard and run all the wiring I'll give it some thought over this winter period, and buy a VDO gauge here and there as I've currently have x6  52mm size gauges in the design.

IMG_0426.thumb.JPG.cc591f73925cbf7b09cf21541c032210.JPG

I'm in no rush as this project has gone on for many years now, I won't put a number to it as the wife might call me out on it, lol currently out of site out of mind........

cheers 

Rich.H.

(still haven't got to the bottom of it regarding the correct connections for the swoosh gauges :blink:)

There's not really such a thing as a standard or common sender unit. It would a lot be easier if there were, but no... You're in for a few long nights trying to find a sensor with the right characters. 

Regarding the wiring: I've not seen anyone here using Swoosh. I'd ignore the colours and figure out what you've got from the vehicle wiring diagram. 

Going to look like Darth Vaders bathroom in there ;)