New to me toys

20 minutes ago, Badger110 said:

What are the plans for it?

Before I do anything I will need to create some room, need to decide if I'm going to sell some engines and gearboxes I have in the garage, other than that the guillotine will need a clean up, paint and set up it will take a 4' width sheet also it was cheap enough not to refuse regards Stephen

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Badger110 said:

Having never seen your workshop in it's entirety, I know you're limited with all the gear you keep adding ;)

If your a bit OCD about garage order then my space is not for you lol regards Stephen 

Stamp on the pedals and it pulls the blade down - if you're abusing it jump up and down on it :ph34r:. Sharp edge against another sharp corner and it slices through the material, pretty simple really but they produce nice clean edges.

The big springs are just there to return the pedals up again so you don't have to lift them each time.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2021 at 3:46 PM, Badger110 said:

I've never used one or even been close to one, so how does it work?  

Think of it like a massive pair of scissors! It shears the metal from one side to the other as the blade is set at an angle. As Ed says, stamp on the foot lever either side.... or jump on it when you're pushing a bit harder :P, that brings the blade down past the fixed blade. As well as cutting sheet metal, they're also quite good at shortening steel rules and tape measures :lol: 

• Like 2

The force of your foot going down is enough to cut through, that's interesting.   I saw one at the back of a workshop once and it had belts and pulleys attached to it and shook the ground when it was used, I figured this one was powered as well.

What kind of thickness/material does it cut?

You've generally got a fair bit of mechanical advantage as well because of the lever action where they bolt the pivots.

Thickness depends on width you're cutting as well but generally speaking you can get away with up to a couple of mm if it's shorter widths, wider stuff if it's thinner. Like a press brake it's down to the overall force required. Although as we've said you can abuse them slightly because of the scissor like action by nibbling away. The only thing then is that the blade tends to pull the material through so you've got to clamp it effectively otherwise you don't get a straight edge.

For cutting thin stuff with straight edges there's very little that's as satisfying.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Badger110 said:

The force of your foot going down is enough to cut through, that's interesting.   I saw one at the back of a workshop once and it had belts and pulleys attached to it and shook the ground when it was used, I figured this one was powered as well.

What kind of thickness/material does it cut?

The guy I bought mine from had one of those with wheels etc, 3 phase machine  but silly big for my garage, it never worked very well and it's off to the scrappies now.

The one I've got should cut 1.5mm full width I will also add that the cutting blade and frame it fits on is very very heavy which along with the pivots and leverage also assists the cutting action regards Stephen 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Unless they end up with some flats machined, I'd be worried about the bigger ones slipping? As they were it looks like they would go in either a chuck or a MT adaptor?

They have been turned down to go in a large Jacob's chuck, on some of them there was too much taper gone or damaged hence the turning, ones I have machined drill champion regards Stephen

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

More importantly you don't happen to have a 60mm and/or a 45mm drill bit going spare? :rolleyes:

Definitely don't have a 60mm largest I have is 50mm the closet I've got to 45mm is 44.4 or 13/4" , I do have two of them but both have had tapers cut, I can put one in the lathe and machine it down for a large Jacob's chuck, and post it to you if that's any good regards Stephen

I was only being cheeky but 13/4" would do perfectly, just thought it'd be handy to have something about the rough size of the bottom pins on the JCB (45mm) but that's close enough and I can bore them out to final spec on the lathe. If you're willing to sacrifice one then that would be amazing - more than happy to give you something for your troubles since the favours are decidedly lopsided at the moment.

No need to worry about taking off the taper - if it's 2MT then it'll go straight into the tailstock on my little lathe, if it's 2MT or 3MT then I've got a pillar drill that'll take that (albeit the big 40rpm one is in pieces :blush:) . Or I can just machine it down like you.

24 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

I was only being cheeky but 13/4" would do perfectly, just thought it'd be handy to have something about the rough size of the bottom pins on the JCB (45mm) but that's close enough and I can bore them out to final spec on the lathe. If you're willing to sacrifice one then that would be amazing - more than happy to give you something for your troubles since the favours are decidedly lopsided at the moment.

No need to worry about taking off the taper - if it's 2MT then it'll go straight into the tailstock on my little lathe, if it's 2MT or 3MT then I've got a pillar drill that'll take that (albeit the big 40rpm one is in pieces :blush:) . Or I can just machine it down like you.

You will have to machine it as don't know if there is enough taper to grip,I'll box one up and bang it in the post on Monday, and just to wind you up no charge regards Stephen

• Thanks 1