New to me toys

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Another thing that is not helping, the younger generation are mostly not interested in engineering, I know at work we struggle to find maintenance fitters, the last several have been a decade from retirement types. If you cannot find younger employees that are genuinely interested, then businesses will shut down

Even on a hobby basis, I have 4 sons, not one of them would be interested in learning bits and pieces from myself, as with most of the younger generation gaming is top priority, it's the computer world we live in now unfortunately

Another issue is everything is relatively easy to buy now, especially vehicle's, when I was in my twentys every other car was a banger and you had to learn to look after and repair what you could, how many bangers do you see now, very few I wager

I guess at some point it will have to reverse when the few skilled workers that are left charge an arm and a leg for work, those that cannot afford it will have to learn as a few of us did all those years ago

Regards Stephen

It worse than that I'm one of very few boat builders on the south coast that can actually repair wooden boats. We can't charge for the skill because everyone thinks they can do it (including several businesses) but when customers finally give in and bring it to us the get the hump because we have to rip out most of the work already done and start again. The bizarre thing is the same customer will happily spend £10k on three items of nav gear,  only to complain about the cost of fitting it to there rotten sinking boat.

On top of that we can't get apprentices for love nor money because it's relatively low paid dirty work.

Mike

Edited by miketomcat

1 hour ago, Stellaghost said:

Another thing that is not helping, the younger generation are mostly not interested in engineering, I know at work we struggle to find maintenance fitters, the last several have been a decade from retirement types. If you cannot find younger employees that are genuinely interested, then businesses will shut down

Even on a hobby basis, I have 4 sons, not one of them would be interested in learning bits and pieces from myself, as with most of the younger generation gaming is top priority, it's the computer world we live in now unfortunately

Another issue is everything is relatively easy to buy now, especially vehicle's, when I was in my twentys every other car was a banger and you had to learn to look after and repair what you could, how many bangers do you see now, very few I wager

I guess at some point it will have to reverse when the few skilled workers that are left charge an arm and a leg for work, those that cannot afford it will have to learn as a few of us did all those years ago

Regards Stephen

My two girls (at the moment) like playing with the garage tools, pencils, screws, screwdrivers etc and I can't stop Bethany (1) from climbing on the workmate! Whether this will change as they grow up only time will tell! I do climb as a hobby, so maybe that's where she gets it from. They would have a field day in your garage! I remember making things at my grand parents house and also at home with my Dad, so I hope my two do the same. I'm hoping to incorporate a little workbench for them in my garage when I sort it after finishing my shed!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stellaghost said:

as with most of the younger generation gaming is top priority, it's the computer world we live in now unfortunately

One day they will wake up and realise what a colossal waste of time it was, and move on.

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

One day they will wake up and realise what a colossal waste of time it was, and move on.

That's a bit of an extreme view, I would say. There are a lot of useful skills that can be learned from gaming.

Some people just like different things. And I would wager to guess that with the right project, they would be very interested in what you do. Just needs to line up with their interests.

Get them a copy of Mudrunner, and maybe soon they'll be wanting to do it in real life with Sid ;)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Its the same in the workshop I work in, 6 grey haired old guys on the shop floor... They just can't get anyone else even new apprentices.... we can get apprentice mechanical engineers (design side) the few that are interested in being on the shop floor are only interested in doing that to punch the clock so they don't last lol 

On 5/21/2024 at 12:56 PM, Bowie69 said:

Some (few, but more than you’d expect) earn millions of pounds a year from playing games, and a lot earn thousands from it.  A lot of older folk like to distract themselves with games from time to time too - I must typically play five hours or so per month.  It’s no more a waste of time or money than watching sports or going to the pub, or mucking about with an expensive and unreliable car that could be replaced with a cheap hatchback.  To each their own…

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Snagger said:

Some (few, but more than you’d expect) earn millions of pounds a year from playing games, and a lot earn thousands from it.

Aware of that, but they are broadcasting stuff or in competitions. The act of playing a computer game has no real life value IMHO, especially the most nonsensical ones like candy crush etc. More and more studies are coming out supporting the view that the addictive nature of these games are producing relative zombies, because games companies have got so good at it.

10 minutes ago, Snagger said:

It’s no more a waste of time or money than watching sports or going to the pub, or mucking about with an expensive and unreliable car that could be replaced with a cheap hatchback.  To each their own…

I don't really do the first two bar F1, occasional off-road racing when it is screened on YouTube, but playing with an unreliable car you do learn things that can be applied, besides, LGT is 100% reliable, dontcha know ;) 

I'd put computer games in a totally different league to the likes of the various short attention span type phone games. I spent about 6 years working in our robotics/remote handling department. There was then, and still now, a noticeably greater operator capability when it's someone who has been or is a gamer. It can take years and many shutdowns for others to get close. 

• Like 2

Some computer or console games are surprisingly educational, improve coordination, train extended attention and concentration and can be social with multiplayer, also improving team and leadership skills.  Granted, some simple games are quite the opposite, growing zombies as you said, but there is a wide range and some can easily be argued to have tangible benefits.

54 minutes ago, Snagger said:

Some computer or console games are surprisingly educational, improve coordination, train extended attention and concentration and can be social with multiplayer, also improving team and leadership skills.  Granted, some simple games are quite the opposite, growing zombies as you said, but there is a wide range and some can easily be argued to have tangible benefits.

Having had to train staff on remote controlled trenchers etc and diggers.... a kid that plays/played consol games will pick it up in a matter of hrs vs someone who doesn't it'll take me days 
yrs ago I gave my 11yr son a go on my 30 ton digger with a free pivot grapple in my firewood yard while I had beers with my logging crew.... in less than an hr with no supervising he was as good as the guy I was training and had about 3 days seat time 

The catch lol the young gamers don't have the commitment, had more than one take a day sick because they didn't get enough sleep the night before due to gaming or partying 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, De Ranged said:

The catch lol the young gamers don't have the commitment, had more than one take a day sick because they didn't get enough sleep the night before due to gaming or partying 

Pretty sure the yoofs have been suffering this since most folks on this forum were yoofs...

On the flipside of some of this negativity I've seen several threads on the machinists / machining section of reddit where young folks trying to get on and learn the trade are bemoaning the miserable f***ers they have to work with making their lives difficult, being deliberately obstructive or belligerent towards younger / less experienced staff, and moaning about everything... which I'm sure doesn't sound familiar to anyone :rolleyes:

It wasn't the kids who f***ed our manufacturing industry or tilted our education system away from practical skills, they're just arriving at the scene.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

It wasn't the kids who f***ed our manufacturing industry or tilted our education system away from practical skills, they're just arriving at the scene.

Yep, that was the current and previous generation of politicians, bankers, business and union leaders.  However, the young generation seem more polarised or extreme in their attitudes than previous generations of either being very diligent and hard working or being utterly irresponsible and narcissistic.  I think social media plays a large part in that, and those kids that spend too much time on instagram and tick-tock are the worst.  Some of the youngsters I have to deal with these days are every bit as good as the millennial group ahead of them, while rather a lot need a damned good kicking.

• Confused 1

On 5/21/2024 at 10:56 AM, Bowie69 said:

Some will, for sure, but that will still leave a huge gap of no trained people or viable businesses in the meanwhile.

I need one of those! My new radiator is bothering me. It's not quite perfect.....

IMG_20240530_195356.jpg

On 6/3/2024 at 1:58 PM, Stellaghost said:

Picked this little tool up, did not know they existed

20240603_124908.thumb.jpg.e98939c3087cff4f41179fdc615a5362.jpg

20240603_124915.thumb.jpg.e279ccbf4429add12fd5613916bf1713.jpg

Do any of you guys know what it is???

Regards Stephen 

Standard in most refrigeration toolboxes.

Fin comb.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1