Demonstration of Terrain Response in a D4 on rollers

Naks

6 minutes ago, reb78 said:

Interesting it copes so much better with one rear wheel with traction vs the scenario with one front wheel with traction. 

I suspect doing this in a flat tarmac car-park with rollers doesn't fully/properly demonstrate its behaviour.

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I suspect doing this in a flat tarmac car-park with rollers doesn't fully/properly demonstrate its behaviour.

I should think you are right - On rough ground the traction/lack of would move around quite a lot. Just odd how on identical ground surfaces, it acts quite differently? Almost like it preferentially puts power to the rear, but i dont think thats the case. .

Couple of things

1. There's already a leak underneath it :hysterical:

2. It does show how much wheelspin is needed to trigger it which mirrors my experience of the old TC system and my limited experience of the D3. In difficult high load conditions you just get lots of wheelspin on alternating wheels as it jumps around trying to transfer the power, and f all forward motion.

23 hours ago, reb78 said:

Interesting it copes so much better with one rear wheel with traction vs the scenario with one front wheel with traction. 

yep, that's down to the active rear diff, which locks very quickly to improve traction.

13 hours ago, BogMonster said:

It does show how much wheelspin is needed to trigger it

Yeah I was surprised how much wheel spin is allowed before it gets a grip, although I wonder if it would be different if it wasn't the "all-or-nothing" tarmac/roller setup?

Given the TR system knows absolutely loads about what's going on, it knows it's basically flat & level on tarmac so is probably outside its normal behaviour - they surely anticipated the "driver left TR in sand mode and then drove home on tarmac" scenario...

16 hours ago, BogMonster said:

2. It does show how much wheelspin is needed to trigger it which mirrors my experience of the old TC system and my limited experience of the D3. In difficult high load conditions you just get lots of wheelspin on alternating wheels as it jumps around trying to transfer the power, and f all forward motion.

Yep.  That is the problem.  When you are on a steep hill and need power, the TC takes it all.  Even on this flat ground, you can hear the engine working hard.  As above the rear locker helps a lot if you have one with that option.