Series diesel conversion questions

Dunc

Hi everyone and Happy New Year to you all.

Shortly before Christmas i sold my Rangey and my 110 and for the first time (until today) was Landy-less.

I've now done a deal with my mate who bought my SWB 2a a couple of years ago and i've bought it back!

:D

Questions:

Montego Diesel (Prima) vs TD vs 200Tdi.

The Monty (Perkins Prima) is cheap, the TD is plentiful and the 200Tdi is reliable and powerful.

I fancy the Prima, but should i save up for the 200Tdi?

Always been in love with Tonk (the truck, not Mark!) and as that's now Tdi power, perhaps it's the way to go?

:unsure:

I'm financially stuffed currently, so i have to work on a strict (and small) budget. To this end i know where i can lay my hands on a complete Montego which is a major thought.

:huh:

Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

It's good to be back! Cheers. :D

If you allready have a td prima to hand then that may well be the way to go - I think the conversion kits about £400

200tdi is tempting but make sure you see the engine running or get it from a realible source as rebuilding one can get expensive - you can get a decent disco 200tdi for about £400 then add about £70 for a cambelt kit and then there are the exhaust issues

If you allready have a td prima to hand then that may well be the way to go - I think the conversion kits about £400

200tdi is tempting but make sure you see the engine running or get it from a realible source as rebuilding one can get expensive - you can get a decent disco 200tdi for about £400 then add about £70 for a cambelt kit and then there are the exhaust issues

Turbo manifold and exhaust pipe need to be swapped for Defender with a Disco Tdi as i understand. I've had a few Disco Tdis, both 200 & 300 and a Defender 200 so i've a rough idea of problems to look for. If i could find an engine at that price i wouldn't buy the Montego because he wants £300+ for that.

I think Steve Parker does exhausts for Tdi Series conversions, but i'm not sure where to get the other bits.

Have to think long term and do a bit more research i guess.

Ive got a Prima in my S2a and a 200tdi in my 90, both are good engines with their own individual set of issues. If i were you i would just look at the cost fitted, and go with the cheaper engine.

As mentioned above the Prima will rev high and is great for fuel economy - i get around 45mpg on road pattern 235/70, in my old factory 200tdi 90 i would struggle to get 30mpg on 205/80s

Tdi will be better for torque though :)

Use the prima conversion kit to drop in a Rover 220 petrol lump instead - more power than a V8, with the economy of a TD/TDi and far less rattling :ph34r:

Good idea this if your handy with the spanners, not the most straight forward conversion but it's a fantasic engine even the non turbo lump chucks out 140bhp, and the turbo out the 220 will do 300bhp+ with no worries. Plus you can pick up a whole car with one in for around £100-500

There's a couple of leafers running non turbos in our club, they're easily as fast as the V8's, plus they scream all the way to 8000rpm!!!!

Marko's the man when it come's to these - check his website out.

http://people.pwf.cam.ac.uk/mac65/YVC%20788K/landrover.htm

:P

Use the prima conversion kit to drop in a Rover 220 petrol lump instead

erm, if the Prima fitting kits will enable a Rover 200 petrol to go in, wouldn't it also enable you to fit the 200 Turbo Diesel?

Yeah, but Lewis goes everywhere on the back of a big yellow taxi! :D

Yeah, i did leave out the part where it does about 60mpg per gallon - of oil :lol: but mine has had a very hard life and is well knackered and i still like it. New rings would cure it but if i ever take the engine out then a tdi auto would be going in :)