Reverse light 💡

A crossmember like that and you're worried about the reverse switch / wiring supporting a 55W halogen? 😲

I think you will find that a 55W reversing light is illegal on the highway and will fail the MOT (add to the list along with the crossmember....).

For short periods of time you will "probably" get away with it but as the switch / wiring will be drawing over twice the current it is designed for, even if the fuse doesn't pop (don't know the rating on a TD5), the wiring may well induce voltage drop and you can expect problems ahead.

Why use an old halogen like that anyway? Road legal LED reverse lights will give out a far better spread of light while passing the MOT and not requiring any wiring / switch upgrades. 😁 If you want a rear work-light then once again, use a decent LED, mount it at a level to give a better spread of light and wire it in correctly from a  suitable source.

From memory, there's a Road Traffic Act legal limit on the permitted wattage of reverse-lights, and they also have to be 'diffuse' [a pearlescent lens] rather than clear.

In the 1980s several rally-cars were to my knowledge excluded from competitions because they had similar "rear-mounted spotlamps" which failed to impress the scrutineers, even though such lights were distinctly useful when recovering from an 'off' on a night-time forest stage.

There was a thread about this here:

https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/60824-reverse-lights-legal-querstion/

1 hour ago, western said:

Reverse lights are not included in MOT.

the non clicky link now clicky -- https://forums.lr4x4.com/topic/60824-reverse-lights-legal-querstion/

& the other link within  http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/contents/made

I bought 2 square led units same as these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RING-SQUARE-COMPACT-LED-REVERSE-LAMP-LIGHT-IFOR-WILLIAMS-BRIAN-JAMES-TRAILER/322164379129?epid=1405260732&hash=item4b027e4df9:g:wqoAAOSwNuxXaqrM matched to same size/shape rear fog versions.

I never thought they were anything to do with the mot 

i think they updated it for today’s cars as most cars build now come with them and must work 🤔

1 hour ago, miketomcat said:

I would wire it via a relay and switch in addition to the reversing light. So you can switch it off on the road. Switch it to reverse operation off road or on for a work light. But I do like the mounting even if we gloss over the legal element.

Mike

I thought a relay too but this light has been fitted and wired in since my dad owned the vehicle from 2005 so the last owner fitted it never been a problem,

im only updating this length of wire from the gearbox to the loom as I’ve fitted the td5 loom and finishing it off 

55 watts ÷ 12v gives a draw of approx 4.6 amps so sailing pretty close to the limit. I'd be inclined to put a bit of thicker wire and a relay in and give yourself a decent safety margin.

Thus avoiding the vehicle fire you fear more than the crumbling cross member 😉

Mo

Like I said my cross member is not in question here,

as the mot goes it’s not like a siries Land Rover there are no leaf springs connected to it and if was to bad they would ask me to remove my tow bar so x member is all good, 

so my wire will be ok as light is only on for short periods of time not as if running off the main beam as driving lights, 

ta 

2 hours ago, western said:

A 17amp capable wire is what I use for 55watt lights, you can buy it in small rolls from Halfords.

2 hours ago, western said:

A 17amp capable wire is what I use for 55watt lights, you can buy it in small rolls from Halfords.

😂 Ralph I give Halfords two years max before you can not buy any car parts as it’s already lost it’s rip speed products and was told by a member of staff they don’t stock certain items as no call for them now, who puts after market stereos in a car now as factory’s one’s so good,

i only changed the one in my van as I needed blue tooth all part of modern cars now ,