Hot, Hotter, Hottest... Where to put my sensor?

Hello everybody. Max is my name and Chula is my game. And for those who don't know who Chula is. Chula is a 1991 LR 110 2.5 N/A. Santana. And yes, her Spanish temperament came with the full package straight out of Spain. Momentarily I am still waiting on the governments approval to let her free. 

In the mean time I have this question.

When it comes to where to put the oil temperature sensor-sender for the gearbox, I know I will have to plug it into the enlarged Transfer Case Sump. There is a designated hole on the side of this Sandwich-Box-like shaped aluminium cover. (Whenever you go to a gas station, (here in Belgium) and have a look at the prefabricated sandwiches. You will notice that they are sealed in those triangle like shaped boxes.)  This Sandwich-Box adds another extra 0.5 lt. of oil to the gearbox. In time I will plug a sensor-sender in that hole. But now comes the actual question. For the engine oil temperature! Where do I plug that sensor-sender in? I do have an oil pressure gauge. But not an oil temperature gauge. And I want one! And If I may still add some information to it? In time I will install an oil cooler unit with one of those small radiator like cool units. These units look like a space ship out of a Starwars movie.    

So. where do I plug that sensor-sender in? Do I need to go drilling a hole in the belly pan?

32 minutes ago, maxamillion said:

... So. where do I plug that sensor-sender in? Do I need to go drilling a hole in the belly pan?

That is what LR did when they produced the 'Lightweight' version, and possibly the FFR versions.
I don't think that I have the measurements to immediately enable drilling your own hole.

Once you can monitor the temperature you may find you do not need the complication and cost of an oil cooler.

Regards.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, David Sparkes said:

That is what LR did when they produced the 'Lightweight' version.
I don't think that I have the measurements to immediately enable drilling your own hole.

Once you can monitor the temperature you may find you do not need the complication and cost of an oil cooler.

Regards.

Yeah, David, exactly my point, when it comes to being able to see whats happening inside the engine. An oil cooler might just be an luxury item. 

Thanks. 

I was slightly wrong!

After posting my first response I looked in my files to find I had collated information about oil coolers, which perforce included temperature gauges.
You will see the S3 oil cooler installation had the temperature gauge pocket away from the engine.
I include my file just for completeness, as I would always prefer to fit the sensor in the sump (belly pan).

TSK, Tsk, Why bother?
I now find the Doc was produced in 2011 and two of the links do not work.
The Landyzone link doesn't work, and the Landyzone Forum itself produces a security warning from Mozilla which I don't care to ignore.
However, the thread appears to have migrated to the LRUK Forums.

The Series 2 Club Forum has moved around, the link to the original thread is now here but the original pictures have gone.

Regards.

2'25 version.doc

• Thanks 2

The engine oil filter has a brass plug at its front end, opposite the filter canister.  That is where you put a temperature sender, the same type as in the head reading coolant temperature.

Gearboxes sometimes have oil coolers, but I’m not aware of LT230s using them (even though they do get hot).  I know Borg Warner transfer boxes have temperature sensors, but I don’t think it’s common on the LT77.  Dave at Ashcroft transmissions or Shabs at Syncro Gearboxes would be able to tell you your options and give advice, but I doubt any gear box or transfer box is going to generate enough heat behind a 2.5 diesel to need a cooler or gauge.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, western said:

Have a look at my modified oil filter head diagram, the oil temp sender is item part number PRC4372, the old 4 cylinder engines & 200tdi use the same oil filter head, so all the hand drawn parts will fit your engine

oil pressure gauge trnamitter fittings.pdf 253.92 kB · 2 downloads

Yeah, I see! Thanks for this. That's good news. 

• Like 1

Save all the hassle of linking up temperature senders and buy yourself some of the temperature witness tapes from the likes of RS components. Then if you've got a problem you an look at doing something more substantial. I suspect you haven't got any temperature issues given plenty of people run LRs in hotter parts of the world without. @FridgeFreezer will remember their proper name, its escaping me at the moment so I can't find them! 

EDIT: Found them! This kind of thing https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/temperature-sensitive-labels/0285936/ They stick on a clean surface and show you what temperature its got to. Available in different temperature ranges, they should give you a good idea of what it's doing in there.

• Like 1