110 seats - worth preserving?

Gazzar

Morning,

I've a set of 110 front seats, with the plastic back, the early type. Brown.

I was going to rebuild them for my lightweight project, which would mean that they might get hacked about, but before I do, do they have any value to anyone doing a 110/90 restoration?

I just don't want to mess up something of interest.

Gaz, I'm curious why you might need to hack these to fit a lightweight. Is the seatbox rather different to a series or 90/110 type? They are pretty rare so would seem a shame to hack them, but they are yours and it's up to you what you do with them :) 

IMO these early seat frames are far superior strength-wise to the later type.

I'll be recovering them, and as most re-cover sets are for newer seats I expect to have to improvise. I don't think the plastic backs will survive, for example.

I just thought I'd check before ripping them.

Cannot speak specifically for your seats but when I swapped out my original Defender seats (bog standard cloth techno seats) for L322 seats I then sold my old, dirty, tatty seats for a substantial profit over the L322 ones.

Seem to remember I made the best part of £500 once I removed the £140 I paid for the 5 L322 seats. Mind you this was when Defender prices were doing silly stuff.

I'd rather not use eBay, bad experiences.

Honestly, if they ARE historically interesting I'd prefer that they went to a project, than me hacking them about. 

That is, if I could swap for less interesting later seats.

Should I put them on the "For sale" section with the price as being newer equivalents?

I've just had a look and, they are very dirty, but, side from one crack in the back of the middle seat, quite intact and sound.

The metal work does need a lot of surface rust removing.

Almost a shame to recover them...

IMG_20191223_191007.jpg

IMG_20191223_191016.jpg

IMG_20191223_191025.jpg

IMG_20191223_191033.jpg

I’ve got a similar question 

l have fitted Puma seats in my 110 TD5 and have a pristine unmarked set of TD5 County cloth front seats in the garage, unlikely to ever be refitted.

I was going to put them on Ebay but the XS TD5 front seats l sold recently (not quite as good as these but not bad) didn’t make much at all.

These we’re out of the missus’s 90 which we sold last year, l had fitted aftermarket seats and the buyer preferred them to the original ones.

What would an unmarked pair of TD5 techno cloth front seats with head rests be worth? 

Edited by Lightning