Sankey trailer on 7 pin electrics 110 on 12 pin NATO Adapter?

DC_

All will be revealed I’m sure. I read somewhere military used white with numbers.... hence why I tried to avoid a re-wire in the first place. 

Oh well, nice first job to be getting on with. 

20 hours ago, DC_ said:

I like the sound of that Deep. Does anyone have a diagram or list of what wire goes where into the 7 pin socket from the NATO wiring? 

Where did you mount your secondary socket? 

I'm sure someone has a diagram but I just worked out which pin in the plug did what on another car and made my own.  Every wire is colour coded and you can get that from a Haynes manual or similar (maybe I'll try to find it after work, if you can't).  Then it's just a question of cutting each existing wire and joining in the wire for the new plug.  Easiest way is to use a screw block connector, or you could twist and solder if you're good at that stuff.  It really is that easy (though, in my case, the wires had been painted, which didn't help!).

Mounting is a bit harder, depending on how much off-road use your vehicle gets.  You could make a bracket and mount it near the tow fitting, for protection.  I actually left mine on a long lead and it tucks in behind the pintle hook when not in use.  That's because I use a Range Rover swan-neck towhook, to allow a conventional trailer to be towed without losing the pintle hook.  That demands some extra length, as you'e expect.

• Like 1

Thanks Deep, the truck does very little off roading, usually just green lane type tracks to get to our wild camp spots. If I can I’ll put it next to the NATO socket on the rear crossmember. Ordered a pre wired 7 pin so hopefully as others have said it’s just a case of matching wire colours. 😊👍

It's very easy to add a 7 pin socket alongside the nato.  The loom from the dash/fusebox pops up in the rear corner as described, and the wires connect to lucas 2/4/6 way connectors. The O/S lights, the short loom to the nearside rear lights/fuel tank and trailer sockets connect to these.  You may find that with trailer wiring already some of the lucas connectors are full and you may need a couple of larger ones (think halfords sell em)

Just feed the trailer socket wire up into the corner, connect wires as follows:

Yellow to green/red

Blue to red/yellow

White to black (earth)

Green to green/white

Brown to red/orange

Red to green/purple

Black to red/black

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Eightpot said:

It's very easy to add a 7 pin socket alongside the nato.  The loom from the dash/fusebox pops up in the rear corner as described, and the wires connect to lucas 2/4/6 way connectors. The O/S lights, the short loom to the nearside rear lights/fuel tank and trailer sockets connect to these.  You may find that with trailer wiring already some of the lucas connectors are full and you may need a couple of larger ones (think halfords sell em)

Just feed the trailer socket wire up into the corner, connect wires as follows:

Yellow to green/red

Blue to red/yellow

White to black (earth)

Green to green/white

Brown to red/orange

Red to green/purple

Black to red/black

Great stuff Eightpot !! 

Ok had an hour to see what’s in the corner, here’s what I’m looking at. The main bunch of wires are yellow, I don’t see any numbers on them. 
there’s another 7 coloured wires connected to the yellows. 
I’m guessing I just splice my new 7 pin wiring into the same colours that already there? 

65CE7FEB-2D1D-41E0-91F0-E64CB55E959D.jpeg

6CDC85A6-F7F1-4ABB-B499-D9E0C4DBC217.jpeg

I think I may have struck it lucky assuming they are wired in correctly. 

just traced the already coloured wires and they lead to this..... 

I'm hoping just a simple join to the new socket will do the job. Never actually tested the towing electrics 🙏

C4019300-44CB-4D39-9ACF-5CFAD9FC9605.jpeg

• Like 1

The yellow wires have little yellow plastic collars on displaying a letter - don't worry about that though, just follow the factory loom colours.

I would feed your new trailer socket wire up into that corner, put (blue) bullet connectors on then swap out the old trailer wire and bin it. 

54 minutes ago, Eightpot said:

The yellow wires have little yellow plastic collars on displaying a letter - don't worry about that though, just follow the factory loom colours.

I would feed your new trailer socket wire up into that corner, put (blue) bullet connectors on then swap out the old trailer wire and bin it. 

So you recommend tracing the factory loom and connect them to the yellow wires exactly like it’s been done before rather than use the old factory loom? 

The cable that has been cut is standard 7 pin trailer wiring, colours are standardised,  so assuming they are plugged onto the correct connector just prepare your new cable then unplug & swap the wires like for like one at a time then you can bin the old bit of wire. 

Edited by Eightpot

13 minutes ago, western said:

Best of both, no stopping you using any trailer now. 😎

Here’s hoping all goes well tomorrow. Trying to get it finished and a few jobs done on the Sankey before the storm hits this weekend 👍💨🌪

• Like 1

Winner winner chicken dinner !! 

So after wrestling with spaghetti junction, all wires eventually went in. I think I might get better bullet connectors as the ones that came out were longer than the blue ones I have. 

Initial test, indicators all ok, tail lights ok back and front. Front kinda dim so will replace with new lamps to see if that helps. Nearside rear brake light didn’t work. Changed lamp and squirted  WD40 all brake light now works. New reg plate (I won’t post it as you might not like me😂) convoy light that works as the reg plate light was working. Badly corroded. In the process of changing it to a new one I bought for the landy a couple of years ago. Just a bit of footering will fix that. 

Theres an additional convoy light below the Sankey. Doesn’t work..... I’m assuming that’s because it’s a civvy plug? 

Overall very happy with the new addition. Everything just needs some TLC I reckon. 😎

Who ever did it before Ralph spliced the two together. It was a surprise. And I’m not sure where to plug them in individually. So if one bulb goes... they all go?