Vapours and diggers

rusty_wingnut

To be honest I think I'd rather have that run over my foot than a lorry of equivalent weight...

It's actually pretty impressive how little pressure (for their size and weight) excavators exert on the ground. The bottom bank of what will hopefully become a pond was built using the 13 tonner I pictured before and Ben did a lovely job of smoothing it off. Drove the 6x6 and the Defender across it and both left an impression in the surface because the 13t machine didn't exert the same pressure as the 2t Defender.

Yeah, the tracks are great for spreading the weight and reducing pressure and thus impressions. But tracks on bigger machines are steel, so I'd keep my feet far away from them! A HGV tyre at around 9bar/130psi is going to hurt as well...

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Escape said:

A HGV tyre at around 9bar/130psi is going to hurt as well...

... just on that one , I bought some oak trunks from and ended up at lunch with a wonderful old farmer in France a few years back, he went travelling in the African desert every winter even in his mid 80's, he was extolling the virtues of lowering the tyre pressure to maintain traction and he offered to reduce the pressure in his tractor tyre and drive over my head !  I declined the offer and I still wouldn't like to try it, but the point was made, might be easier on toes or any other extremities in soft sand though!

I remember as a kid noticing the rear tyre on the tractor was a little low so put some air in it, took it up to about 5psi. Then got told off by Dad because he normally ran them at 2psi :lol:

@Blanco old tractors we're designed like that, not too heavy and with big tyres designed to run at (very) low pressure. Nowadays weight has increased more than tyre size so despite the huge rears on some modern tractors, they dig in the soft soil and tear it up a lot more than the old ones did.

Worth pointing out modern tractors are being asked to pull larger and larger implements to be more efficient. Was watching some videos of a farm in Canada recently where the tractor was being weighted up to close to 40t just so it had enough traction to pull the massive air drill.

Mind you they were seeding fields that were multiples of 1000s of acres. Think they had about 5 of these tractors on the go simultaneously. The hilarious bit was they had some flooded spots they revisited at the end because the water had receded. One of them they gained another 100 acres because the water level had gone down.

Different sense of scale out there. One moment on the road where a car goes past the pilot vehicle and doesn't pull over very quickly. Doesn't realise that the tractor physically can't stop off this little hill because it was fully loaded with seed at the time. Could slow down but not actually stop because despite having wet brakes they would have overheated.

27 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

Worth pointing out modern tractors are being asked to pull larger and larger implements to be more efficient. Was watching some videos of a farm in Canada recently where the tractor was being weighted up to close to 40t just so it had enough traction to pull the massive air drill.

Mind you they were seeding fields that were multiples of 1000s of acres. Think they had about 5 of these tractors on the go simultaneously. The hilarious bit was they had some flooded spots they revisited at the end because the water had receded. One of them they gained another 100 acres because the water level had gone down.

Different sense of scale out there. One moment on the road where a car goes past the pilot vehicle and doesn't pull over very quickly. Doesn't realise that the tractor physically can't stop off this little hill because it was fully loaded with seed at the time. Could slow down but not actually stop because despite having wet brakes they would have overheated.

When I was driving mining trucks they had disc brakes but for normal use we had a retarder brake which I think worked via shutting off the exhaust which was operated via a lever on the steering column, if you used the foot brake heading underground it didn't take long for the front brakes to overheat and catch fire. Going down was normally about 30-45minutes at 40mph (top gear with engine on the limiter) which was an experience until you got used to it, in places there was less then a foot of clearance over head and on either side and lots of twists and turns, up could take 2 hours if loaded heavily, foot to the floor all the way!.

One noticeable problem was you got used to driving using a lever on the steering column to brake (I didn't have road car at the time), jumping into a hilux was a bit of a change, none of the hilux's on the mine had indicator stalks left!.

The trucks were Cat 768C's modified for underground work, from memory empty tariff weight with fuel and scrubber water was about 40tonnes and I regularly hit weight bridges over 100tonnes sometimes up to 120tonnes if it was high grade ore.

The ones I liked were, I think, a big mine in Russia. All electric dump trucks and they had to haul downhill from the mine. They'd generate so much electricity fully loaded coming down it cost them nothing to go back up when empty.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I thought I had two cup holders in the JCB. Turns out one of them is a broken air vent pointing at the back windscreen :blush:, drink got rather hot...

No significant mods planned for the 2CX except building a frame to hold a set of pallet forks on the front quick hitch.

Though it would be nice to sort:

• New battery
  • Temperature gauge
  • Why the heater only blows hot
  • All the lights (at least check if it's simply blown bulbs)
  • Give it a good service