Lightweight 73 Series 3 wiring loom question

Rob Windsor

There's a company that makes them up for you.

Not perfect, but very close.

Auto sparks. I need to order one for my 72 lightweight, now that you reminded me.

In my experience, with something S3 vintage anyway, you'll not need to replace the loom. Solder and shrink-wrap, and a scrap loom from eBay usually does a very decent repair for all those PO bodges. Of course if it's past that point...

Edited by Landrover17H

Mine is past that point.

All that remained when I took on the project was a few earth straps, and a chunk of battery cable that was used to power a winch at the back.  It was a trials truck.

So am starting from scratch.

Unless someone has a pristine lightweight chassis loom going spare?

I fitted a complete auto sparks loom to the 88 a few years ago and I can’t fault it. It came apart this afternoon just as easily as it went in. I wouldn’t play around with decades old wiring, just bite the bullet and fit a new one.

• 2 weeks later...

The loom is simple enough for you to build your own.

On the S2 forum there are a selection of easy to follow wiring diagrams, it allows you to make those small mods.  I rewired my S2 for about £70 a few years ago using the diagrams as a starting point.

Some people recommend using  trailer cable to wire the rear lights

Peter

I think with the lightweight it depends on what you would like to end up with.  By this I mean the lights - which are much more complicated with options like convoy lights which extiguish al others and that sort of thing.  Otherwise I don't see any reason why you can't wire it as a civilian S3.