Dreaded Electrics

On 4/20/2020 at 5:21 PM, western said:

The relay won't light up, with ignition on it should operate the left or right indicators when the left stalk is move to left or right indication. also you will need the hazard light switch connected as the indicator circuits need that switch to be in place.

Your Right I Need the switch, but at least I now know where the Correct wires are for left and right Indicators, I found this and tried it, works a Treat. 

Having another bit Tinker whilst waiting for Hazard Switch.

Right The PO had labels on spare loom, I can just say make them out, so have fitted the dash lights bit to mine, unplugged mine and wired the spare one in, all wires matched and plugged in except the lone white on right of both pics. Anyway nothing happens with Ignition, no bulbs light up in gauges or nothing.  Or should they ? 

First pic is loom unplugged from mine.

Second pic loom from spare with labels, all plugs in except the white one.

What have I missed or done wrong /?

IMG_20200423_134507.jpg

IMG_20200423_131358.jpg

36 minutes ago, western said:

whats on the label of that unconnected white wire ? in 2nd photo 

plain white is normally a ignition switched 12v power feed.

It's just a factory label, not the POs.   If you notice on first pic that white on my loom plugs into Green from same loom.     Just found green conection on this one, when whites plugged into it and Ignition on the battery gauge needle moves across to other side, but that's all still nothing else or bulbs work.

IMG_20200423_160414.jpg

Edited by kevin50

battery condition gauge [voltmeter] as LR call it, has a plain white on one side & plain black on other side, the white comes from a core of plain white wires all ignition switched, the plain black is a earth wire.

the warning light panel has a printed circuit attached, & is fed by 2 white cased multiplugs, these distribute the incoming wires to their respective warning lights, 

do you have a red battery light & red oil pressure light when ignition is on but engine not running. ?

all the gauges illumination are on red/white trace wires to the bulb holder terminal,

the other terminal is plain black earth,

these then go to the central threaded rod on each gauge with the ring terminal st on the 'U' bracket,

then a shakeproof washer & the little knurled sided circular nut,

these loop from gauge to gauge then to a end terminal that joins the rest of the looms to earth on a plain black wire.

If the earths are not in place & not connected to the main loom the gauges will not light up & you need the main light switch at the side/tail light position as well & the interior light/gauge lighting rocker switch plugged in & the top of the rocker switch is in. 

hope that helps.

27 minutes ago, western said:

battery condition gauge [voltmeter] as LR call it, has a plain white on one side & plain black on other side, the white comes from a core of plain white wires all ignition switched, the plain black is a earth wire.

the warning light panel has a printed circuit attached, & is fed by 2 white cased multiplugs, these distribute the incoming wires to their respective warning lights, 

do you have a red battery light & red oil pressure light when ignition is on but engine not running. ?

Yes Red battery and oil light up.

13 minutes ago, western said:

all the gauges illumination are on red/white trace wires to the bulb holder terminal,

the other terminal is plain black earth,

these then go to the central threaded rod on each gauge with the ring terminal st on the 'U' bracket,

then a shakeproof washer & the little knurled sided circular nut,

these loop from gauge to gauge then to a end terminal that joins the rest of the looms to earth on a plain black wire.

If the earths are not in place & not connected to the main loom the gauges will not light up & you need the main light switch at the side/tail light position as well & the interior light/gauge lighting rocker switch plugged in & the top of the rocker switch is in. 

hope that helps.

Plugged the lone white into green as it was on mine, then battery gauge works. Now I have found a Lone Black cant remember where it went to when it was on the spare loom.

IMG_20200423_162810.jpg

• Like 1

should be a earth connector further up, more behind the instrument pack, 

the yellow socket in photo is for Voltage Sensitive Switch [a yellow cased relay] V.S.S. that I mentioned earlier in thread, this stops you switching the heated rear screen on without the engine running & prevents draining of the battery.

the white plug is for the dim dip system, you can ignore that & secure it safely out of the way. 

1 hour ago, western said:

should be a earth connector further up, more behind the instrument pack, 

the yellow socket in photo is for Voltage Sensitive Switch [a yellow cased relay] V.S.S. that I mentioned earlier in thread, this stops you switching the heated rear screen on without the engine running & prevents draining of the battery.

the white plug is for the dim dip system, you can ignore that & secure it safely out of the way. 

Looked and Looked for spare black wire and cant find it anywhere, there is some female conectors but none black, tried earthing this black wire but still nothing. 

Be back up in the morning to look again, but don't hold much luck.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, western said:

only if you switch the main light switch to the first click which should put the front side & rear tail lights on & if the rocker interior light switch is fitted & set with the top of rocker in.

Right I have not got ANY of these fitted yet, as waiting on Hazard switch. So do all these need to be in place and Working First for Dials to work.  ??

What is the Rocker ?, please forgive me for stupid questions,

You will need the main light switch to turn the side & tail lights on, the instrument lighting is joined in to that circuit, you might get away without the interior/gauge rocker switch, 

The rocker is the bit in the middle of the switch you move to turn things on & off, 

HTH, will be able to help more tomorrow. 

Just now, western said:

You will need the main light switch to turn the side & tail lights on, the instrument lighting is joined in to that circuit, you might get away without the interior/gauge rocker switch, 

The rocker is the bit in the middle of the switch you move to turn things on & off, 

HTH, will be able to help more tomorrow. 

Thanks Mate. Cant really get other lights done till my Hazard switch comes. will try again in morning with main Light switch in on position, probably wasting my time but cant resist having a go.🙂

Well just about give up now, Everything connected except that Lone black,  Don't know what the hell I done but the bloody heater motor started up every time I turned Ignition on 😃, unplugged it and  thought Id better pack in for today, before I blow myself up. Ive disconnected the live from battery before I left just in case.

• Like 1

One thing I did notice today, There is half of an empty Fuse holder the white plastic ones with twist off heads to open, but no fuse in it.

It is in the front rail around about where the Clock is in the middle. What could it be for ?? cant remember what coulor wire was going in to it.

Edited by kevin50

In the length of loom from main instrument pack going towards the dash middle should be a in line holder it should be covered with a piece of soft feel tubing, might be black in colour, with a glass fuse looking resistor inside this is for the charge warning light it should have a plain white wire on one end & a brown/yellow trace on other end, this holder & resistor needs to be intact. As without it the alternator will not operate correctly & you won't get a charge warning light on ignition on before starting engine. On the wiring diagram I posted in the close up, items item 63.