anyone got rid of the servo vacuum system on a series 3

MagicMatt

Get rid of that awful unreliable bit of kit and fit a proper vac pump.  Electric is easiest, lots of modern cars have them

I have a belt drive Pierburg at fitted to many older French cars and by Land Rover when they realised that the inlet manifold thging was not up to scratch.

Peter

• Like 2

Agreed. Got mine from a Volvo, but Jags have the exact same thing. Made by Hella. As Pete says, found on modern stuff. Clamber round your local breakers and something will crop up. Make sure you get its vacuum switch assembly too, else you're forced to fire it off the brake-light switch, which apart from running the pump after the fact, is a tad clumsy.

Edited by Landrover17H

• 1 month later...

I've tossed exacly those parts out and fitted a hella UP28 electic vacuumpump. Very happy with that!
If I ever have to drive to the UK to source an engine I'll toss those parts on the back seat ;)

Of if you'd consider picking the rod up in France, bring me a healthy 2.5di NA 🤣

Edited by xychix

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/24/2020 at 12:18 PM, Romahomepete said:

You could also bring a bucket load of the pierburg belt drive pumps from your local scrappy.  They were standard fit on PSA cars in the 80s and 90s.

Peter

Nah then I'd advise to go the Hella UP28 route! easy and effective!

• 6 months later...

MagicMatt and others, these pumps are getting easier to source by the day!

Chinese Fake
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/32961883627.html?src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=494-037-6276&isdl=y&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&aff_platform=google&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&&albagn=888888&isSmbAutoCall=false&needSmbHouyi=false&albcp=1706100219&albag=73428776544&trgt=539263010115&crea=nl32961883627&netw=u&device=c&albpg=539263010115&albpd=nl32961883627&gclid=Cj0KCQiAvbiBBhD-ARIsAGM48bysqr-4qPvmat46Tn6_rxj7h21-_B_sZum1fmbK4HgJ9G1W2WvvfvoaAmw2EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

New Original:
https://evshop.eu/en/vacuum-pumps/159-hella-up28.html

Electrical contact between the UP28 and the ECU is made using a cable equipped with an engine compartment connector and attached to the vacuum pump. Over 17 million electric vacuum pumps have been produced since 1999.

Edited by xychix