Goodridge braided flexible brake hose failure

I've got a 90 on the lift at the moment with a failed Goodridge braided flexible brake pipe on the rear . It's leaking near the chassis mounting .

This is a known truck, the hoses went on when it was built 11 years ago , it does less than 3k a year and no extreme off roading , just a bit of shoot life . Standard suspension set up with the flexi mounted and routed well - not chafing anywhere.

Thoughts ? 

cheers

Steve b

Possible , but it really is gentle offroad if at all . I've always thought of these as somewhat tougher than the factory fit rubber ones, once it is off I will take a closer look at it , these sort of failures interest me .

cheers

Steve b

I had one fail due to it getting crimped, never found out how it got crimped though so I could only think that it got caught up on something, there was a definite crease in the stainless steel outer.

The inner tube is relatively fragile so any fault or gap in the outer layer can be an issue so check for any signs of damage or fraying.

It's always worth checking you've not been using your brake lines as axle check straps too... you wouldn't be the first ! Put full left lock on, cross axle the vehicle with the left front wheel high and see if it's your brake pipes taking the weight of the wheel and part of the axle.

A few years ago I had a Triumph Vitesse and fitted them. I had the bonnet up doing something or other and noticed that one of the front ones had a kink in it. Like you, I had no idea how it happened, and being a road car, I couldnt work it out, and though it quite concerning. I have never had a rubber hose go in forty odd years of driving

I changed them back to standard rubber type, but I did notice how easily the inner could be damaged

Yes , the tube inside is reliant on the external braid to work , and that is my No.1 suspect . The Hoses fitted are +4" by the look of it and well routed while the springs

and shocks are standard.

I'll get some pic's when it is off - all 3 will be replaced  at the same time .

cheers

Steve b

Hoses for pressure work are always braided (or spiral wound if they are really big). Depending on the specification, a braided hose can have one or two layers (maybe even a third although not in my experience). The inner extruded tube has a braiding applied and if it's a two layer braid then a thin rubber strip is laid down around the first braid as the second braid is added. Then an outer layer is extruded to finish.

The braid layers take the pressure and this and the thickness and spec of the rubber plus the diameters of course, define the spec of the hose. One important point is the abrasion resistance of the cover and the resistance of the inner to the 'chewing' of the braid as the hose flexes. One of the most demanding situations is a flex into an Omega shape as the pressure is cycled.

I always thought that 'over braiding' was more cosmetic than anything else but maybe it really does do a job - which would be to provide additional abrasion resistance. If it is applied over the 'traditional' construction then I don't see how failure of this braid layer could cause a leak.