What's the material covering my Headliner??

Hi all

just wondered if someone could tell me what material my head liner is made of??

Had a quick look around and I see that the standard are ripple and vinyl finishes, but not what I have

I would like to say it's either some sort of felt or wool?? but I don't have a clue?????

can anyone please advise

many thanks

Rich

HL!.JPG.0ae2226247ae309d968060b1118f96e3.JPG         close up of material

thanks for your response, as you've mentioned "it is pre-defender" so will it fit the defender series? what year(s) period do you think the headlining it is from?

Is the headlining worth anything as I have the front, back and back top panel, not sure if to use or sell it?

thanks again

Rich

18 hours ago, SHY 7G said:

thanks for your response, as you've mentioned "it is pre-defender" so will it fit the defender series? what year(s) period do you think the headlining it is from?

Is the headlining worth anything as I have the front, back and back top panel, not sure if to use or sell it?

thanks again

Rich

Yes! They are really sought after and expensive.

e.g. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USED-Genuine-Land-Rover-Defender-90-full-front-and-rear-roof-head-lining-2-2-TDC/333771344769?hash=item4db6528b81:g:YtYAAOSwWSZfm-ty

The eBay example is a vinyl covered late Defender example.  Yours is from a 90 or 110, before 1989 and the Defender name.  If it can be cleaned up, it might be quite valuable to someone restoring a 90 or 110 - not many would be as intact as yours.

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

The eBay example is a vinyl covered late Defender example.  Yours is from a 90 or 110, before 1989 and the Defender name.  If it can be cleaned up, it might be quite valuable to someone restoring a 90 or 110 - not many would be as intact as yours.

What is the material that covers the headliner?   is it felt, wool or something else??

Cheers

Rich

It’s some sort of synthetic flocking.  Don’t scrub it, and don’t soak it.  You may be able to clean it with a white spirit dampened rag and light stroking or swabbing and dabbing, but any kind of hard rubbing with cloth or worse a brush will make a mess of the texture.  That’s why the newer types went to a wipe clean vinyl.

On 11/6/2020 at 3:34 PM, Snagger said:

That’s the older type of headlining, pre-Defender.  It’s not aftermarket or recovered.  Not many are that clean at this age.

On 11/9/2020 at 1:27 PM, Snagger said:

It’s some sort of synthetic flocking.  Don’t scrub it, and don’t soak it.  You may be able to clean it with a white spirit dampened rag and light stroking or swabbing and dabbing, but any kind of hard rubbing with cloth or worse a brush will make a mess of the texture.  That’s why the newer types went to a wipe clean vinyl.

It’s looks the same as the one in my Defender 200 tdi  1990 so probably used on the change over 

On 11/11/2020 at 10:01 PM, Badger110 said:

It's Alpaca fur from the outer region of Norfolk,  rolled on the thighs of virgins in the month of October, year 1987. 

Not disimilar to what Jason and the Argonauts were after i believe...

They used to make them in Hampshire but ran out of Alpacas and as for the virgins ........................................

• Haha 1