fog lights

ianmayco68

16 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

The problem is not the DRLs but the people driving cars, not using correct lighting for the road conditions.

As a driver of emergency vehicles, DRLs help me to see vehicles in shade in summer sunlight or winter gloom much more quickly meaning that I have more time to assess hazards as I approach them at speed in emergency conditions.

DRLs get my vote. People not being adequately lit don't .

Mo

I disagree, but Bowie’s response is right in being part of the problem.

As I said, most cars now have automatic light activation, but it usually doesn’t come on early enough and it prevents manual activation of the lights.  It’s then compounded by the DRLs and dash lighting looking to the driver as though the lights are all on, but they’re not.  It’s an awful system that should be outlawed and cars should be retrofit at EU parliament expense (it’s their fault, after all) to fit a voltage sensitive relay that will activate the main lighting like the Swedish cars use to have.  That is a superior and simpler system in every respect.

It’s a separate switch on my Volvo, and it does inhibit the dash switch, whether trying to turn the lights on or off.  I agree that drivers should be checking their selections and verifying their lights are on, but with dash panels illuminated and light cast in front of the vehicle, it’s easy to interpret that as the headlights being on - the only way to check from the driver’s seat to to look in the mirror for reflections of the tail lights before setting off, but with more cars being automatics and drivers holding the car on the brakes instead of selecting “park”, that is a sign that is also going to be masked.  It’s going to vary from car to car, yours having a more sensible switch system than mine, but it’s an unnecessary trap either way, and automatic lights don’t come on in fog, which many drivers appear not to understand.

My Ranger has both auto and manual lights on facility which is all controlled from a rather neat, easy to use and interpret switch. Foglamp control is likewise pretty idiot proof.

In fact in the three years I've owned it since new its shown me what a bag of overpriced nails the last Defenders I bought new were and how much damned hassle they were getting warranty repairs done virtually straight out of the showroom.