Demountable trailer body - mini project

L19MUD

Apologies for the bad picture taken in the dark. I made up the pegs and welded them on. They have an M12 nut welded in the bottom. I was thinking i might get away with a spring washer under the bolt head to stop it coming loose?

It lifted up with no binding issues so it looks like a success

Just need to go round and tidy the welds up and weld underneath

IMG_20210118_191347.thumb.jpg.628fb795bea49ac7642d39289697820f.jpg

Welds tidied up and I managed to mount the body back on the trailer easily on my own with the shape of the pegs working exactly as intended. This needs to be used nights this week so I decided to wire up the rear marker lights and also an interior LED floodlight to replace the broken one that was there.

I wired up an additional trailer socket under the trailer and fitted a lead to the body so it is simple to connect up. I only have one vehicle with 13 pin electrics so I decided to use the side light power feed for the interior light and then add a switch, it means the side lights on the tow car need to be on to use it but it means it will work on whatever I connect it to.

407423286_Lutonlights.thumb.jpg.3e0b5d262391f1e3dd56917ebe78b42b.jpg

I then started the less than glamourous job of getting the adhesive from some old stickers off the side to clean it up

295256963_Lutonstickers.thumb.jpg.82947b20ef909eb35e6fac14aab1f835.jpg

Once the stickers are off the only job I have left is to adjust the rear door to reset the internal spring

• Like 1

Nice result!

16 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

I then started the less than glamourous job of getting the adhesive from some old stickers off the side to clean it up

How are you getting on with that? I tried a bit on mine, but it was a huge pain...

Also, enjoy your air brake, you won't have to touch your brakes going downhill (speaking from experience) :D

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Arjan said:

Very nice project coming to a good final stage.

What sort of weight is that body you think ?

Thanks. The body is 630-650kg per the Ingimex website. This give me a payload with the box fitted of around 1,900kg but in reality the sort of thing I would use it for would never get me anywhere close to that

5 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Nice result!

How are you getting on with that? I tried a bit on mine, but it was a huge pain...

Also, enjoy your air brake, you won't have to touch your brakes going downhill (speaking from experience) :D

As I have none of the vinyl to remove on the top (which I usually heat up to remove) it is not too bad. The quantity of it is really the issue. Petrol and a microfibre cloth is removing it quite easily

I don't think it is going to do anything for my MPG either!!!

34 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

As I have none of the vinyl to remove on the top (which I usually heat up to remove) it is not too bad. The quantity of it is really the issue. Petrol and a microfibre cloth is removing it quite easily

I don't think it is going to do anything for my MPG either!!!

Oil and bi-carb works great.... but means getting a commercial sized tub :lol: 

11 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Aha, interesting. I tried with brake cleaner, which worked but flashed off way too quickly. I can give petrol a try.

I have always used petrol when doing this on vans etc, The key is also in the rag used, microfibre cloths take longer to clog up with the adhesive but you do need to keep moving round the part of the rag you use if that makes sense?

• Like 1

Knowing coachbuilders, I suggest you put it on the scales to be sure....

We had a truck here some time ago and on the certificates is was 900 kgs. lees than on the scales..

• Like 1